Do you free range your chickens?

Perfect example of what I mean when I say breed matters. Birds blend right in
20230601_131449.jpg

Color has very little impact when birds actively foraging in an area the predators know chickens are concentrated in. Hens brooding are a different story as are chicks trying to hide

If what you're saying is that camouflage basically does very little to protect chickens from predators then I agree. This is only one very small aspect that helps. Breed still plays a role though. These birds are agile, can fly to a tree in a heartbeat, know their environment very well, and are always on the lookout for predators. These are all things that are important when free ranging. As you stated, color is important for chicks and broodies. What it does though is it gives a few more seconds to the birds. A predator might know the general area of where the chickens are, but does not know their exact location. Those few seconds it takes for a predator to find exactly where they are gives the birds the opportunity to spot him first, and take cover. But as I said before, being able to flee successfully is what will say them. Hence why breed is important. Stick a light brahma in there, it wouldn't have the same fate

I've crawled through a swamp like an alligator hunting chickens before. I assure you that color makes a tremendous difference in  natural settings
I have been keeping chickens free range for the better part of 50 years. Most of those chickens have been American Gamefowl that typically raised in free-range settings. They come in a broad range of colorations. They will match anything you people have when it comes to avoiding predators using primarily vision. It is behavior of the birds that is far more important and that takes precedence over physical abilities in most situations. Much of the behavior is learned

So I’ve been terrified to let my girls free range for many reasons. One I’m worried they won’t come back (silly I know). Two I’m worried about predators. We live on about 25 acres so lots of possibilities. We have had issues with our neighbors young dogs jumping the fence so they are my main concern besides cats. Most other predators come out at night. Thoughts? Am I nuts? My family thinks I’m over thinking it. PSA they have a big outdoor area and we have 20 chickens.
View attachment 3319220
We do not free range ours for the same reason, abundance of predators. We have built an huge run, that we are expanding which gives them plenty of space to feel like they are free ranging. I am too emotionally attached to them to risk their safety.

I have been keeping chickens free range for the better part of 50 years. Most of those chickens have been American Gamefowl that typically raised in free-range settings. They come in a broad range of colorations. They will match anything you people have when it comes to avoiding predators using primarily vision. It is behavior of the birds that is far more important and that takes precedence over physical abilities in most situations. Much of the behavior is learned

I've got to disagree. Back to the brahma example we go. A brahma rooster, when having spotted a predator, will try to save his life. What will he do? Fly? I don't think that'll work too great. Hide in a bush? That white on him will be spotted from miles away. Same goes for heavily feather-footed birds, heavily crested birds, so on and so fourth. My cornish cross will have the desire to escape a predator for sure, but he can't. That's physical. As for it being a learnt behavior, to an extent I agree. Some behaviors cannot be replicated. But the birds seen in the pictures are hatchery birds (the definition of hatchery is different here so keep that in mind), and the closer they ever came to nature the first 1 and a half months before they came to my property was looking at it from inside their dirt pens. They've been sounding alarm calls and evading predators (which as mentioned before, are very limited compared to what yall have, but that doesn't make it any less true) for two and a half years. In fact, the only hen I've ever had on my property that was raised in a free range setting and supposedly should know what to do, didn't last more than three weeks. It's almost like breed does play a role, and certain environments favor certain characteristics and behaviors

I free range. I have a mix of birds. I am actively breeding for a particular color and pattern to better blend with my grounds - color for one sort of visual predator, pattern for another sort. Noether is completely effective, and both are almost ineffective against one kind of visual predation while highly effective against the other.

But it only gets you so far.

Recently, I had to adjust my signature of my flock. Some predator - unknown - has takern all three of my Dark Brahma in recent days. the rest of my flock has thus far escaped. It hasn't happened during the day, no bones were left, just a round patch of feathers.

Just my experience.

Back
Top Bottom