1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do you go by age or weight?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by McEgg, Aug 28, 2008.

1. McEgg

McEgg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2007
    Guthrie, Ok
    when you butcher your roos (RIR) do you go by weight of the bird or the age?? We are fixin to get rid of about six tomorrow, because we forgot to cut off the feed yesterday. That are pretty big but not sure if we should wait.

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Excellent question - I would like to know too....

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We go by size more than anything, how well filled out they are in the legs and breast area.

Steve in NC

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I go by age/tolerance of their presence. If you want a double breasted 6 lb RIR... you'll be waiting for nearly a year and have 4 lbs of tough meat to chew on and they'll start spending their energy fighting with each other and going after hens.

I usually just go 12-16 weeks old or so regardless as they don't grow like meat birds and that's the age they start to show interest in girls.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree with silkiechicken, what you will get in meat return for the feed you will put in them past 15-16 weeks isn't worth it.

6. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank You Silkie and Scooter.... I've been debating about doing my 16 week olds or waiting. So.... the jig is up for the young roos!

7. McEgg

McEgg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2007
    Guthrie, Ok
    thanks alot. looks like we got stuff to do this weekend.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    me too [​IMG] i was wondering the same thing. I guess my sons friend will get his wish, he wants one. I cant eat them, they have too much personality. I didnt name them and tried not to get attached but I just couldnt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by