Do you grind your chick feed? What do you use?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by For my girl, Dec 2, 2018.

1. For my girl

For my girl In the Brooder

Dec 17, 2017
    Austin Texas
    I raise quail, and have to grind the wild game starter. I've been using a dual motor 1000 watt blender - but it just gave up the ghost (sniff, it was the best margarita maker).

So what do you use to grind your feed?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I use a manual meat grinder to grind up vegetables, and other kitchen scraps for my chickens. If the pieces are too too big, then chickens would not be able to eat them. Result,,,,,,, it is left to night time scavengers,,, So I like to grind things up.
    I have an older one similar to pictured, that stays in my chicken area always. After use, I wash up and dry.
    [​IMG]
    I think this may grind up seed as well. :idunno
    This one is reasonably priced New. You could probably find one in a thrift store , or garage sale for much less.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-ba...VnrXACh0oHgCaEAQYAyABEgJYrPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    For small lots I use a mortar and pestle. I have also used a rolling pen as well as a mallet.

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I also use a blender to grind Chick Starter Crumbles. 20181202_073515.jpg Fortunately only for a week to 10 days.
    Maybe a mini food processor would work. If you have one give it a try. GC

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  5. mixedbreeds

mixedbreeds Songster

Blender for me also I have used a rolling pen but it’s a tough go with that. Sounds like you should head to Walmart and buy a cheap blender for your feed and a nice new one for your margaritas.

MissChick@dee likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: