Do you hand feed or leave hanging feeder?

carl1949

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
I am new here and have really been enjoying all the super info available. Question: I have a large hanging feeder that I have been using so the hens can feed at will. I know it must attract mice and rats. Also the chickens waste some feed. What do you seasoned pros do?

All our feeders are hanging. We raise them gradually as the birds get older so when they are full grown they can just reach to peck at the feed. We feed once in the morning and then in the afternoon we will water down the yard and any feed that is on the ground will soften and they think it is a real treat and eat it all up. If you are using a crumble feed, you might want to switch to a pellet feed. We had to do this and now only buy about half the feed we used to. And when you go through 250 pounds of feed a week, it is quite a savings.

My feeders are hanging because they stay cleaner and I don't have time to go out and hand feed during the day. My hens seem to clean up whatever they spill. I have very "princess-like" girls, lol. They hate any kind of mess in their run including food.

Back
Top Bottom