Do you hate when people handle your chickens?

peopleRanimals2

Songster
Jun 30, 2015
Rhode Island
Does anyone else hate when people handle your chickens, because they are just doing it wrong? (Or in my case, chicks). People will want to come over and 'see the chicks', but it just stresses my me and my girls out. Chicks will be flying into wire, and freaking out, and the person is basically saying- look how cute! Any other stories like this? I'm thinking about making a 'chick rules' list!

Someone came over today, and held the chicks by trapping their legs between their hands, then having the chicks perch on one finger and holding them over nothing, really high. It was not fun.

Does anyone else hate when people handle your chickens, because they are just doing it wrong? (Or in my case, chicks). People will want to come over and 'see the chicks', but it just stresses my me and my girls out. Chicks will be flying into wire, and freaking out, and the person is basically saying- look how cute! Any other stories like this? I'm thinking about making a 'chick rules' list!
Yeah, so many people don't know how to properly hold and care for chickens...
hmm.png

Yep, someone was holding my less than week old babies at chest height without securing them. The chick naturally tried to fly away only to be dropped too far. 1 of them hit the counter and I almost smashed it while trying to catch it before hitting the ground. This is not even a dumb person, she's usually pretty animal wise. Although I may have to rethink that statement since I found out they've been feeding the squirrels at one of our beaches. Even letting the rodents on her lap. Feeding the wildlife just makes them human dependent and a nuisance. Have some respect for nature people. And yes bird can fly an babies can walk, but not when they are newborn. No, I'm not uptight. I just wish people would use common sense, not so common anymore.

Yep, someone was holding my less than week old babies at chest height without securing them. The chick naturally tried to fly away only to be dropped too far. 1 of them hit the counter and I almost smashed it while trying to catch it before hitting the ground. This is not even a dumb person, she's usually pretty animal wise. Although I may have to rethink that statement since I found out they've been feeding the squirrels at one of our beaches. Even letting the rodents on her lap. Feeding the wildlife just makes them human dependent and a nuisance. Have some respect for nature people. And yes bird can fly an babies can walk, but not when they are newborn. No, I'm not uptight. I just wish people would use common sense, not so common anymore.

Yeah, so many people don't know how to properly hold and care for chickens...:/

Yes!!! I am glad other people have these experiences.

Last edited:

Normally I don't let anyone touch them except for me and my wife.

Back
Top Bottom