Do you hate when people handle your chickens?

I feel no shame in not allowing people to touch my chickens and ducks unless I give them permission, and I don't give many people permission. If people come over, I leave the poultry closed in their run and let people give them treats through the wire, and that's as close as they get unless I really trust them. All my chickens and two of my ducks are very trusting and will let people pick them up. The other ducks were absolutely terrified of people when I got them, and they are finally to the point where they'll come close enough for treats. I'm not undoing all my hard work of gaining their trust, just for them to be roughly handled and frightened. This is kind of a soap box for me, lol. But then I don't even pet people's dogs without asking for permission so it annoys me when people assume that if you have chickens, you're basically a free petting zoo.

I have one friend and one friend only who I trust to be aroundy chicks and hens. She knows not to pick any of them up unless it is my one show hen. Also she knows just to pet them and admire.

Back
Top Bottom