Do you have a dog???

We were thinking about making that change but the ongoing drought has forced so many of the ranchers to reduce or eliminate their stock which has driven up the price of meat to where we can hardly afford it for ourselves. We do supplement their dry food diet with people food and of course the occasional scrambled egg added which they really enjoy.
It´s similar here. Hardly rained for a year and a half, just wets the surface. But here where I live is an amazing place, and the soil holds the water for months, and there are springs that run below the surface, so most farmers aren´t too affected, just the odd one or two.
But even without the weather problem, folks here eat just about anything that comes from any animal. What the butchers used to sell me dead cheap or give away, here is people food, and they want a good price for it. In England, I used to buy green tripe for my dogs, and minced up left-overs that wouldn´t go into the human chain, but here people pay a good price for 'left-overs'; they eat so much fat, skin, ears, feet, tripe (not green, of course), so I have to buy the cheaper meat. But it still works out about equal to buying a so-so quality of dried food, as that is a crazy price here, too. Probably one of the reasons people chuck their dogs out.
I do buy bones from the butcher, sometimes they give them to me. They´re cheap, at least, and the dogs love them. They also have a bit of meat on them, and the butcher will chuck in the skin, some fat, etc. Beef heart is cheapish, and liver not too bad, and of course chicken I can buy for them. I buy the chickens from the factory farms, poor things. People eat them because they´re cheap. We don´t eat them, we eat very little meat, but they´re fine for our dogs.
The vets here tell people they shouldn´t feed their dogs left-overs from the table, that they should buy the dried food. But a lot of the dried food has much less food value in it than the things that people chuck out. So, the street dogs come along and rip open the garbage bags to eat the stuff that the people throw out and they live on that...sometimes I think they fare better than the pets on the cheaper dried food!
Mine get eggs too, especially the dog that can´t have carbs.

JTN- has your dog been more aggressive eating raw meat and the taste of blood?? I was going to think about it for lucky but a friend said she might turn aggressive is that true?

JTN-  has your dog been more aggressive eating raw meat and the taste of blood?? I was going to think about it for lucky but a friend said she might turn aggressive is that true?

its a myth, sometimes you find they are more protective over their meals because it is better (bit like a child not sharing her favourite toy) so I would watch meals at first, my dog still gives hers up to the cats though so I have to watch her to make sure it isnt stolen! My dog is the most soft placid dog going, I can reach into her mouth when she is eating and take it off her-if it raised aggression I wouldnt be able to do that! I also know game keepers up north who have their raw fed dogs retrieve the dead grouse that will be their dinners later and they still bring it back untouched at the end of the hunt! I think different dogs agree with different foods so for some it disagrees but for nutmeg raw works!

Mine get lots of table scraps. They love all the veggie ends and peels. I have a friend that also won't feed them any "people" food which I kinda think is silly. I get not to feed them junk but mine go nuts over the really crunchy romain lettuce and carrots. I finally found out who was picking the tomatoes and bell pepper out of my garden... I caught my basset red handed. Between the dogs and kids my poor garden is always picked before I can get to it. My family also thinks I "starve" my dogs because they will actually eat fruits and veggies. They all will get overweight very quickly and all their dry food is limited. They are on grain free too since one seems to have issues with it but I'm getting annoyed because they are eating the duck food which is full of grains.

I have a senior dog who seems to be allergic to everything. Finding this out with his many other health issues broke my heart. He can't eat dyes, grain, processed chicken (fresh boiled is ok) most dog treats or dairy. When we rescued him he was dirty and so skinny, he only had one eye and was a hot mess. The 3 years we spent $10,000 on vet bills and meds. He is completely blind now and has a sister Dixie who can only see shadows.

This is Spot a week after we rescued him

And this is mt little man now!!!

Lucky has dandruff and I am not sure how to get rid of it, We you doggy dandruff shampoo that stops the dandruff and relives.

Lucky has dandruff and I am not sure how to get rid of it, We you doggy dandruff shampoo that stops the dandruff and relives.
Whne we had a large outside dog (retriever/st.bernard mix) we would put about a tablespoon of melted lard on his food each day (more in the winter). His coat was beautiful and he never had dry skin. Don't know if it works on all dogs, but it really worked on him.

Back
Top Bottom