Do You Have a Family Member Like This??

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
My uncle has ALWAYS been the one to put himself first. Even with his own family...he was married to my aunt (LOVE my aunt) and had two beautiful daughters with her. My cousins and I are so close we're like sisters. My uncle apparently did not think that was enough and had an affair with a woman and had a son. He found out about it, told his wife and his daughters he was leaving and pretty much just left both daughters while he ran off and had fun with his son, who is a convict and was in jail at the time...

That's only a SMALL taste of the background info on him.

My grandfather died a week ago last Thursday. My uncle, lovely man that he is, tried to pry off my grandpa's wedding ring before grandpa was even passed. He said that "he promised that ring to Robin." Who even THINKS about that when your parent is dying?

After grandpa passed, my uncle started talking about funeral arrangements, etc. I had to drive back 2 hours to Arkansas to go to work the next day after grandpa passed. I told Dad to call me if/when he needed help making the arrangements. I had no idea that he would have NO help from his brother in making the arrangements. Rather than call me to help him, my cousins took my place (I can't thank them enough) to try and help him with anything they could, since they live in the same town as the funeral parlor, etc. My uncle...slept through meetings with the pastor, funeral home, accountants....IN THE OFFICE.

My uncle then talked to my dad about flower arrangements. My dad had already made the flower arrangements ahead of schedule since we had already been through this with my mom and grandma. My uncle went insane telling him that he wasn't included on anything. He went out and got his own flowers....$6.00 roses from Wal-Mart. He wanted the glass vase back.

At the funeral, he has the gall to ask me how long it takes to incubate Sun Conure eggs then accuses me of not knowing anything about birds since I tell him that each species has it's own incubation times. He is ONLY interested in breeding these birds for money and of course has spent no time in finding out if the breeding birds are friendly...ridiculous.

After the funeral we all have a meeting to decide what to do about the house and possessions. My dad offers the house to my cousins who already have families and growing. I cannot move to this area...there's simply no place for me to work. I'm perfectly fine with them purchasing the house. My uncle passed on his bid to purchase the house instead saying that they should have it appraised and sold to the public. Grandpa specifically stated in his will that he wanted to keep the house in the family but understood if it could not be done due to debt. My dad offered the house to my cousins at an AMAZING price with no interest. My uncle did not agree and wanted it appraised for a higher price in which HIS OWN CHILDREN would have to pay and pay interest thanks to involving the bank. After we worked through this, he told my dad flat-out that he wanted his half of the money for the flowers....all $75 of it.

He then went and removed all of the "expensive" things from the house so that he could sell them. He took the Shih Tzu unaltered male so that he could use it for "breeding" when in fact he's going to use him for his self-run puppy mill. It just absolutely amazes me that my dad and this man came from the same family. Who on earth could possibly be that greedy and self-righteous to take advantage of everyone and appease nobody?

Sorry...it was a long rant and this is not even the whole story.

hugs.gif

What a mess. I pray that someday he wakes up and realizes that he is accountable for his actions here on this plane when he gets to the next.

All you can do with someone like that is sit back and watch the train wreck comin'.

I am so sorry that you went through all of this at such a difficult time.

I can only assume it's because he's the last living relative that my dad has. Family ties die hard in our family, but this week my dad finally told my uncle to shut up and leave it alone, I have a feeling that's why he left in such a rush after we were all discussing what was going to happen with the house.

Sorry for your loss.
Sorry you have 'one of those' in your family. He will meet his fate one of these days. Sometimes it is not worth argueing with these type of people. It sounds like your Dad has a lot of patience and knows the best way to handle his brother.
Good luck
hugs.gif

Sorry about your loss, and what you are going through with family.

Good reason to have a will when you die, though. I've seen this sort of thing far too often.

I have an aunt like that. After my grandma died we had a get together at her (grandmas) house and my aunt was seriously filling her pockets with loot. It upset my mother so much I pulled my Aunt aside and told her if she didn't put everything back where she got it and behave like her mother raised her to I was going to break her fingers. I really meant it.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this mess.

My girlfriend went through something similar with her Aunt when her grandma died......

Nothing like that has happened to me though yet.... good luck I wish I had words of wisdom for you.

And I am sorry about the loss of your grandfather.

Back
Top Bottom