Do you have a favorite egg laying breed???

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I am curious to know what breed of chicken your favorite egg layer in your flock is?!?! I would also like to know what makes that breed your favorite, the breed's general temperament, and how many eggs a week that you get from that breed.

This should be interesting!
smile.png

p.s. I don't have a favorite yet! None of my chickens are old enough to lay eggs.

Last edited:
It's a toss up here. My Australorps lay very well, as do my buff orpingtons....and barred rocks. Come to that, I'm surprised at how well my Ameraucana's lay, only they do not lay in the colder weather for me, as the others do.

I'm currently getting about 6 eggs a week per hen, including my 5 yo Ameraucanas. (Actually, that's incorrect....I'm getting 20 eggs per week, per 3.)

The first 3 are all very nice breeds, temperment-wise, but I think the buff orpingtons take the cake for friendliness, of the 4. None have bad personalities, or I would have stopped raising them years ago, it's just that the buff orpingtons seem to be a little more "mommy's girls."
big_smile.png

I like the first 3 because they are larger, mellow birds, which lay good sized brown eggs reliably.

The Ameraucana's turn out to have a lot of personality, and lay large colored eggs, which are going over very well here. They are pretty, and intelligent. They aren't as kicked back as the buffs, but they are not hyper, either.

I hope this helps!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom