Do you have a way to "call" your flock to you?

Pics
Most of mine will run up to anyone who comes outside, & I also have a container with treats in it (usually mealworms). When I want them to go back in their run, I stand at the door, shake the container, & call "ChickENS! ChickENS!" & they run right inside.

I have one very skittish bird who doesn't like people & won't come to anyone. She'll run over with the rest, but hang back until I stop calling & step away from the door. Then she'll circle far around me & rush in the side. Drives me a little crazy, because sometimes the other birds finish their snack & start leaving by that time. But at least I know I can get them right back once she's in.

OK so, there is a simple way of explaining it, and a harder way. I'm gonna go with the hard one😌 So you need to know some back story first. .The Greek word for chicken is kota. If you make fast paced and shorten it to kot, with the right pronunciation and deapth of your voice it can sound like a rooster calling his hens over. I've been doing that for the past 9 years or so and it works wonderfully, even with roos, and yes I know it's kind of silly, but what works doesn't need fixing! So basically I imitate the roosters call is the short and sweet version of what I do:lau

If mine are out to free-range like heck they're coming back to me just by call. They'll look to see if I have any goodies and then they go right back to what they're doing if I'm empty-handed. 🤭

However, they do come running to the back porch if they see anyone come out there because they just assume they're about to get leftovers or food scraps or maybe even a hand full of scratch grains. And I can shake their feed scoop with scratch grains or pellets in it and they'll come stampeding to me for food! I've taken advantage of that a few times to draw them back in from free-ranging when I've needed them back in their run for any reason, like if a hawk is lurking around.

Back
Top Bottom