Do You Have Chicken Questions? Concerns? Problems? Ask BantamFan4Life!

Was My Information Helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Little Bit

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Hello , I'm quite new to this website , and I have a question ? So there is this baby chick that is only 2 days old and our hen doesn't want it . So now I am raising it , but I'm not really sure how to raise it , or what to feed it .. I was wondering if you could tell me What to feed it or how to feed it , thank you .
Have you not raised chicks without a mother before? Go to the feed store and get some "Chick Starter" and you will also need something the chick can drink water out of. Then, buy a brooder (a large bin will be sufficient) and a heat lamp. Put the heat lamp above the brooder. If you have cats, put chicken wire over the top of the brooder so the cat will not "have fun" with the chick. Hope this helps. :)

I have a question.Back in maybe march,I bought some chicks.two roosters,and 5 pullets.I already know 3 pullets are not ready to lay.I vent checked them,and my Rir and Barred have red vents,and they are extremely larger then the other pullets vents.

Yesterday I found a egg in the yard.Might 1 of these pullets be laying?
Almost all the hens lay in the nest boxes,which makes me wonder who did it.About 20 minutes after finding the egg,I caught RIR cackling.Should I be expeting eggs in maybe a week.

Hi! I have a question. First a little background. We had 10 hens (rir). One went broody, so we got some fetilized eggs from a friend (barred rock mix). 3 hatched ! Cool. 2 boys 1 girl. Ok. So we are building ANOTHER coop and run and we're thinking about eithner getting more hens and putting one of our boys with them, or splitting the flock. What do you think? If we get hens from someone else, will they accept the rooster ok?

My humidity reads 80% with no water in the incubator I have calibrated my hygrometer but when I did it read 75% exactly and it's an expensive $25 industrial one but my incubator has 0% water and 80% humidity somehow how can I fix this eggs were put in yesterday

OK here goes..I have doing much research and keep going around and around with no results. My Hen has a hard abdomen. She is 2 years old, is eating ok. No sign of being egg bound.
Droppings are a little loose but nothing abnormal in them. She is getting Tetracycline in her water and warm soaks in Epsom salts. It has been 5 days since I noticed and have been treating her. she was only standing but today I caught her sitting.

I have a question. I have a year old female mille fleur that I'm luck to have alive. When she hatched last year she always got picked on. So she always hid from all the other chickens. It got so bad that I put another pen inside my chicken coop just for her. Last fall my husband found her on her side and brought her inside. So she spent the winter inside. I took her to the vet this spring and said she has no muscle mass and couldn't believe she was alive. She did have crop worm so I wormed her. But she still hasn't gained any weight and she's still weak. I give her mealworms,eggs,grapes and of course chicken feed and scratch. And when I do take her outside she is weak and has a hard time walking. Please if anybody knows what is wrong with let me know.

Four (4) Questions

I know you've got 5 questions to answer, but I've got another 4, so nine. I had 10 hens, two of which were roosters. Then one day, a hen went missing without a trace. Could it still be alive? Did it leave to lay chicks? Will it possibly come back? And also while it was gone the fox got 8 of my hens
1f62d.png
and there's one left. She's having a phantom pregnancy and I've put 10 chick eggs underneath her. Will she mother them?

Hi! This is my second year having chickens. Unfortunately I relocated my first year having chickens and had to give away my 9 sweet girls to nearby chicken lovers. This year a friend of mine had 3 pullets she could no longer keep also due to an unexpected move and I am happily living in a chicken friendly area so I accepted them. I decided shortly after to add 4 additional pullets of similar age that I purchased from a nearby hatchery. I just learned the 3 pullets I initially received were unvaccinated. Currently all pullets appear healthy and happy, they were separated initially but are now together. What should I consider at this point?

Hi! This is my second year having chickens. Unfortunately I relocated my first year having chickens and had to give away my 9 sweet girls to nearby chicken lovers. This year a friend of mine had 3 pullets she could no longer keep also due to an unexpected move and I am happily living in a chicken friendly area so I accepted them. I decided shortly after to add 4 additional pullets of similar age that I purchased from a nearby hatchery. I just learned the 3 pullets I initially received were unvaccinated. Currently all pullets appear healthy and happy, they were separated initially but are now together. What should I consider at this point?
What were they vaccinated for? Most chicks are vaccinated for Marek's disease, which you can only do when they are day-old chicks. I wouldn't worry about it, at this point.

Back
Top Bottom