1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you have to wash all your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blackberry18, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I know that washing eggs removes the bloom, which protects the egg from bacterial infestation, but I sell them soon enough to prevent this. I understand that you should wash eggs if they're dirty, but what if I got them from the nest spotless? I know some people who never wash their eggs, and sell them when they're all dirty and full of poop and hay, and I think it's disgusting. But my coop is pretty clean, as are most of the eggs.

2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I have read that you should only wash them if they are gross, like what you mentioned above. But, what I do is attach a note to all of the eggs I sell explaining why I don't wash them, and telling them they should be washed right before consumption. Hope that helps:)

So, if they are pretty clean don't wash them, but be sure people know you have not washed them, and why you do this, and to wash them themselves.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Another thing people may not consider when deciding whether or not to wash their eggs is that egg shells are porous and bacteria from the poop may enter the egg through the shell through improper scrubbing.

I normally do not wash any egg that appears to be clean. If there's poop on the egg, it gets only enough washing to get rid of the poop, using tepid water, never soap.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't wash mine, nor do I refrigerate.
    Customers know and understand.
    But anything that's visibly dirty I keep for my own use,
    sometimes I wash them, sometimes I don't.
    If I do wash, I dry then refrigerate.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by