Do you help calls hatch?

MuranoFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
I have 23 calls in the bator now. Day 28 is next Friday (although I read they hatch closer to day 26). I've heard they have a hard time hatching because of their soft bills. Do you help yours? Or just let them go and hope for the best?

Last edited:

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
Quote:
I've done this every day since day 3 when I read a post you made on another thread.

Supposedly it helps keep the duck a little bit smaller, so its easier for the duckling to turn around in the shell and zip all the way around. I dont know, but it seems to work.

MuranoFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
Well...tonight I opened the bator to start my nightly ritual of misting, cooling and rotating them in their turner. When I hear this squeaky type of noise. At first I thought it was the turner then I take a closer look at the eggs. 2 pips! It's only day 23! So I candle real quick as I'm getting ready for lockdown and I have 6 internal pips, & 2 external. I have one that pipped and drowned. I could see goo in the air sack when I candled and none of them were like that 2 days ago. All but 2 have movement...but they didn't look bad so I put them in anyway. All total I have 22 out of 24 going into lockdown and 20 of them look very good.

I hope pipping in the turner then being moved didn't hurt them. I just couldn't see 22 eggs hatching in the turner. There wouldn't have been any room!

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
Quote:
Thats great!
big_smile.png
Pipping in the turner didnt hurt them. I was putting eggs in the incubator every other day, and forgot about the first egg, till I came down the stairs in the morning and there was a baby call in the incubator waiting for me.
lol.png

duckluck

Dulcimyrh Ducks
10 Years
Oct 22, 2009
Illinois
Quote:
I've done this every day since day 3 when I read a post you made on another thread.

Me too, so I'm waiting to see the results on this next batch at the end of the week. The last two, I absolutely helped...broke a hole in the shell for one, which he used to zip himself out, and the other I completely hatched by hand. I'm not sorry I did, because otherwise I'd have had either one or none. Two is absolutely better, especially for the first guy!

Scott

Ozark Bantams
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Yes, call duck eggs take 26-27 days to hatch and you will often hear peeping a couple days before the hatch. Because show quality ducks have unusually short necks and bills, it is believed by many that they have a more difficult time pipping. I personally dont think this is the case for pet quailty calls. I've never had to help my call ducklings hatch. And really, I wouldn't advise in favor of doing so... because if a duckling is too weak to hatch, then it will likely pass that trait on to its young thus perpetuating the problem.

MuranoFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
Well, it's day 24 and I have 3 ducks and 5 more pips!
celebrate.gif
The original plan was to lockdown tomorrow morning. So much for that idea! Day 28 is Friday. I have a feeling this is gonna be a loooonnngggg hatch!

Top Bottom