Do you just keep feeding and feeding and feeding them????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by welsummerchicks, Jul 26, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    My Welsummers are probably going to finish out about the size of emus. That's all I can figure out. I keep going to the feed store for more and more feed. 'Just keep feed in front of 'em at all times'. They appear to be growing like mad.

Is it possible to feed them too much?

They are acting like ravening beasts. I give them their regular feed, and sprigs of alfalfa,, grit, plenty of water.

I think they are six weeks old now. They are the most awesome chickens ever. I'm just putting in the posts for their permanent coop.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

They're in their adolescent growth spurt. You know how it is... you buy them two Big Macs and a large fry and a large drink, and an hour later they're whining "I'm hungry!". That sort of thing. It will even out, once they're a couple months older. [​IMG]

We'd love pics of your babies in your new coop once it's finished!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    No-I don't think it's possible for them to overeat-it just seems like it. [​IMG]
    Chicks waste lots of food playing and dustbathing in the feeders-I had just told my husband that my little 8 day old babies that are brooding in my sunroom are kicking all of the feed I just put in for them onto the floor(I can hear them).

4. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Time to free range. Cut my feed use in half.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I was kinda wondering the same thing... I have 11 and we go through almost two 50 pound bags a month... [​IMG] I just figured they were really really hungry...

6. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    I think I am using a 50 lb bag in somewhere under two weeks, I'll check exactly. I have 50 Welsummers.

I also have 3 roosters. They are starting to fight. It is affecting hen tranquility.

About six of the chicks (elephants) are very very friendly already and come over and stare at me, looking very intelligent.

I have a theory that they are not actually as smart as they look...if they were, they could get a job.

7. Aleisfood

Aleisfood Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    I am going through about 50 lbs a week for 34 piglets/ buff Orps.
    Some are now sneaking out during the day with my bigger gals.
    There about 14 weeks or so. another month I ll start to merge
    them with the big girls and switch them all over to layer feed .
    I figure at that point I ll be at 50 lbs a week of just layer.
    I also get some day old bread now then as a filler. They seem
    to go nuts when I throw that in the pen. [​IMG]

8. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    *laughing* My chickens are PIGS! They WOULD and COULD snatch a Big Mac from your hand in .25 seconds! Good to know I'm not the only one who feels like they are feeding a small nation!

9. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

No.
    Chicks grow super fast its kinda scary xD There just going through there grow spurt thats all there's nothing to be worried about [​IMG]
    We just got chicks I mean there only 11 weeks and there almost the size of out full grown ones. I was kinda the oppisite of you I thought they weren't growing fast enough! I swear we all are like Mother hens....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks all! Off to the store to buy more feed! The store employees are on a first name basis, LOL!

My chickens are really cool.

I'm afraid coop building isn't going too well. We put concrete around the bottom of the posts; I didn't expect the posts to still be so wiggly. I'm building it like a mini pole barn with girts, it makes it easier for us dolts I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by