Do you keep yours locked up until egg laying is done?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ll, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

My girl started laying last week.
    I usually let them out in the mornings but she's been laying around noon & later.
    I don't want her to learn to lay in the yard ...
    do you keep yours in the coop until they're done laying?
    At least until they learn where to lay?
    Or does it not matter?

2. nanaimochick

nanaimochick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    I only have one of my 5 young chickens laying and so far (7 days) she has always gone back to the nesting box to lay, even if they are out. I still check around the yard and pen though just in case some of others are laying and I don't know it yet! I'm pretty new at this though, so I'm sure you'll get some much better advice from the others here.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    No. I open the coops in the morning. They have their morning ritual (eating, drinking, playing around). Then they go to the chicken house and open shop. They begin their laying. When they are done, they leave the chicken house and begin their day.

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I generally don't allow new layers to free-range for several days of laying until they've firmly established that nests are the place for eggs. Once they get started laying around the yard it's hard to get them back in the nest again!

5. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Normally, we let ours 8 chickens out from 3 pm till dark to range in the yard. By 3, everyone has usually given me an egg. On Sunday a week ago, I let my chickens out early and only had 4 eggs! Yesterday by noon I had 7 eggs and I went ahead and let them out. But only 7 came out and I was surprised to see one sitting in the nest box. She finally came out about an hour later and sang her egg song. Given the chance, I'm sure some of ours would go ahead and lay in the yard.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yep. Mine do the exact same thing. Once they pick a favourite spot, it stays that way. Even when new nesting boxes are introduced [​IMG] Maybe the younger ones will use the new boxes I put out in my converted garage.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No, but my hens have always returned to the coop to lay.

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Mine always go back to the coop to lay. [​IMG]

9. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Mine too :)

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I keep my layers confined to their coop & pen until around 2-3pm so that it's more certain that they'll lay in their nest boxes. My ducks have their eggs laid by the time I go out in the morning to let them out, so they get to free-range all day. I tell my kids to take a lesson from the ducks and get their work done early so that they too will have more time for the things they enjoy. [​IMG]

You'll hear from some folks who always let their hens out all day right from the beginning and still get eggs only in the nest boxes. But there's always a risk that it won't work for you, that your hen will be the one that gets the idea to lay in the yard instead and will have difficulty changing her little mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by