Do you know people grossed out by fresh eggs?

I have been following this post for a while now. Trying to decide if I will post my comment or not. This is kind of strange, but my oldest son would not eat any eggs for a while when he was a teen because he related it to a woman ovulating. He was just grossed out by the whole idea of eggs. However now that he is an adult and no longer living at home he will eat eggs.
hu.gif

Quote:
I agree with Over Easy in Adna LOL

Its just the thought of it.... people are raised these days to believe that eggs come from cartons... not chickens.

Nope, still not close to store-bought! Gotta somehow add various antibiotics, growth hormones, pestizides, fungizides, and a generous dose of adrenalin from the poor chickens being beakless, cooped up, mistreated, and in pain, and THEN you'll have something close to storebought. Yum, Yum!
he.gif

Our chickens aren't even close to laying yet, but we had a similar first experience with goats' milk..

My wife dutifully milked the goat twice a day for about 10 weeks and we fed it to the baby goats.. As weaning time approached, we spent a decent penny on a stainless bucket, strainers, and other milking accessories, and were super excited to try raw, fresh, goats' milk for the first time.

When that moment finally came however, we looked at each other like...You first...No, you first...No, really, after you...No, that's ok, you can be the first to try it...No, no, I insist, you first!
lau.gif

Well, I was the first to try it and I was scared stiff. It was totally different than anything I'd had before...richer, thicker, sweeter. But it was sooooo good -- and i'm not really a 'milk drinker,' per se!

I swear, though...for the next several hours I was on pins and needles, just waiting to cramp up with listeriosis or some godawful GI disease.
gig.gif
No ill effects came, of course..

Over the course of the next several months, we drank it straight, used it to cook, made ice-cream, froze A TON for soap -- and still had more than we knew what to do with.. Eventually, both the goat and the milkmaid decided they were getting a little tired of the twice-daily routine, and it seemed to futile to go through all the effort to get milk only to watch it sit in the fridge and not get used, so she dried the goat off and we went back to storebought..

YUCK-O-LA.

That stuff's like WATER! We missed the fresh, sweet goats' milk almost immediately, and my wife's already said she's going to try her best to really stick with milking next time..
fl.gif

The brown egg vs white egg thing is all a marketing trick. I can't remember eggsactly when it started however (40's or 50's) the 'trick' was to convince people that brown eggs were "country" eggs and only "country" ie POOR people ate them. If you were "well to do" you BOUGHT WHITE eggs from the grocery store. It was more a sign of affluence and being "hip/modern".
I can't wait to taste my FIRST egg! I still have a few weeks to go (I think)...but I'm getting eggcited!!! My coworkers think I'm crazy for having chickens...but they also think I'm crazy for gardening and canning too! (but they LOVE my salsa!) My one neighbor has told me she never has to worry about planting tomatoes cause she knows I'll give her some. Last year (after I was TOTALLY DONE with canning tomatoes) & I tried to unload extra tomatoes on my neighbors...they all hid from me!!! I'm currently drooling over my zuccinis that are growing...I'm sure my chickies are looking forward to those too! I spoil my girls in the "happy chickens produce better/more eggs" belief! My husband even comments how 'spoilt' they are!
Now I will admit, I never "knew" eggs came from the chickens butt, I assumed they were like people and had a reproductive hole and a waste hole. But now I know...it still doesn't bother me.

Now the fertilized egg thing DOES freak me out a little.

OH...and I LOOOOOOVE unprocessed Bee SPIT!!! YUM!!! CREAMY!!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I couldn't get past the difference between the duck and chicken eggs either. The ducks egg yolk is really orange and the white is...white. lol, it has a different taste also. I prefer the chicken but if I am starving I will eat the duck egg until then I will stick them under a broody chicken.

Quote:
I took some leghorn eggs over to a friends house and told him that I really enjoyed the chickens and I wanted to get some EE and start getting a blue or green egg. He started laughing and said someone is pulling your leg, chickens don't lay that color egg.
Well I bought me an EE laying hen and I got my first one today. It is a med green and I know just the person to give it too.
big_smile.png

I ordered 10 EE pullets and one roo and they come tomorrow yay!!!!

I work with two wonderful ladies and they are true animal lovers. But the fact that I live on a farm and raise livestock to eat they do not accept. So each day they tease me about how they are going to come by the farm and rescue my animals. It's true people are grossed out about fresh eggs and how other animals are dealt with but we do it humanly;compared with the people who do it commercially.

Back
Top Bottom