Do you make your kids eat what they are served?

Picky eaters irritate me. We do not allow our kids to be picky eaters. Even if the kids have friends over, friends must follow the rules. Our rule is that you have to eat at least 2 bites of everything. If you really don't like it, you don't have to eat it. That item will be served again sometime and they have to try it a second time. If they still really don't like it, they don't have to eat it and I won't serve it to them again. We are very blessed that our kids love most foods. They have tried eggplant served several ways. They haven't liked it thus far, but if I find a new recipe, they'll be happy to try it. If there is something DH and I like (kung pao tofu) but the kids don't, I will make them something else. Those times are very few and far between. I am NOT a short order cook. I agree with the idea that exposure to lots of different food is important.

At a potluck, there is always something you can eat.

As a child I had several items forced down me and I spent a good deal of my childhood barfing because of it. I never made my son eat what he didn't want, but I did ask him to try everything once. As he got older he turned out to be more adventurous person when eating because he will not try everything once. Now eats almost everything he wouldn't when he was younger.

Amen to that. after what I went through in my youth, I would never MAKE anyone eat anything. Of course if they don't like ANYTHING that is served, then go hungry. I make good, normal meals. No green beans, well ok, but don't turn down the chicken, the green beans, the mashed taters, etc.

I'm pretty picky, in a way. I like all veggies, fruits, grains, etc and always have. I can't understand why some kids dont like veggies. but I don't like diary, eggs, and don't eat meat (I'm a vegetarian) so there's not really much I can eat since we dont have alot of veggies and things and my family eats meat with almost every meal.

When my son was little and we went to a fast food place he always asked for a salad instead of fries. He doesn't like potatoes. That used to throw them for a loop, some 3 year old asking for salad.

Picture this.....

Dash: Victim
Menu: Beef Liver and sundries
Server: Dash's well intentioned Mom
Intention: Dash will eat everthing on his plate
Argument: Dash does not care for the OIL FILTER OF THE BOVINE! (I didn't really say that, but I protested in my BEST 5 y/o way)
Rebuttal: I cooked you a balanced, nutritional meal and you will eat it or sleep at the table!
Reaction: Dash consumed 2-3 pre-cut peices of the vile meat (did not chew, just swallowed like a horse pill) with a giant slug of sweet tea.
Result: After about 3/4 of a glass of tea chaser the liver would not stay in the holding pen. It made a hasy retreat back upon the serviging area (AND I MEAN...ALL THE HECK OOOOOOOVER THE SERVING AREA).

Outcome/settelment: If Dash did not want to eat it, Dash did not have to eat it. Dash was not served anything extra or special, but Dash never had to "clean" a plate.

BTW....Did I mention that I don't really care for liver?

cool.png

Dash

Quote:
Dude I did the same thing but with ketchup on it by the spoonful. One of my worst memories.

Deb....I felt like I was a student and an instructer (not really...I was 5) I learned not to take orders without question and my mom learned to let me starve if I was a willing participant. We are both better people from the confrontation.
ya.gif

BS-BS-BS....In all actuallity....A line was drawn in the sand that day. That line has been flirted with, but never crossed:thun...I HATE LIVER!!

cool.png

Dash

Back
Top Bottom