Do you name your chickens and if so how do you choose their names.

We name our favorites... well they're all our favorites! We have
Rosie
Iggie aka Mother (broody mom)
Presto (weird I know)
Gracie
Tina
Sweets
Viola(chick)
Butternut (chick)
Sunshine(also a chick)
You should really name your animals (unless you are going to eat them).

We have...

Wilamena - WCPolish Bantam
Henrietta - Red Silkie
Louise - Black Silkie (perhaps Louis)
Phyllis - Partridge Silkie
Maxine - White Silkie
Sarah Thelma - very very very tiny Blue Silkie (she is the smallest I have ever seen... 1/2 the size of the others who are the same age)

I just love my babies...

D

We are new to chickens and have decided NOT to name the meaties....too hard on butcher day I think. So I have told my 3 year old not to name the white ones. She has named the 4 birds that are a month old and it is so cute. I don't know how she came up with these names but she hasn't wavered. They are: Ribbon (buff orp), Storm (blue wyandotte), Roxi (RIR), and Tye Tye who is a slow grow broiler hen who is not going to be butchered. We have 25 younger chicks...2 weeks olds, that are not named yet. 12 of those are meat for the freezer so won't be named but the rest of the girls will probably get names when my 3 year old feels so inclined.
frow.gif

one word personality! LOL

Mine got named after I watched them for a while, and the names just came to me.

The white silkie WAS Annie because she looked like an orphan, but when she crowed the other day it was changed to Andy

Emma is my Cochin. I started to name her Etta, but she is Emma through and through, by her personality!

That is all I have right now, and only wanted hens! Oh wel when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

I will find me a few more hens and hope that will keep Andy happy!

since we dont eat ours and they are give aways the Roos and some hens Bantam Cochins and beautiful.
We name them DH named his first Gimpy. he walks with a limp very quiet an follows Dh all over a roo hes; a keeper.cochin.
the rest are my B-Orp. Matilda,
and cochiins...Baby, Bigshot, Little Red,
Lace, jack,jill, Sweet pea, and the rest to many, have no names.

First hen--"Billina" from the "Oz" books

2nd hen--"Fanny" named after DH's pet chicken

7 current pullets--they're A L L "Dorothy" because that's what Billina named all of her chicks

LOL. We name ours!
gig.gif
ALL of them....well, as soon as we know roo or not with the chicks....lol.
We have 2 children, who adore ALL of the animals....so they must have names around here!!! (but it has to be ME that remembers them all!)
big_smile.png

I've been wanting to name the keepers...but it's just too hard to figure out what they should be. The roosters are easier, with names such as Bob (RIP), Steve, Miguel, Pierre and 4 more to name still.

I'm going to go out with a list of names and just assign them...
I think I'll start with a female Star Trek names, move onto my favorite movie or tv characters.

Not so exciting really... but it's a plan!

smile.png

My Light Sussex are Isadora and Angelina, collectively they are the ballerinas.
Then there is Marjorie Maran, Hermione the Silkie Cross (She is a lovely ginger colour with a smart topknot). And finally there is Big Bertha - She is bigger than the others and seems to be top hen after the ballerinas. She is a Legbar cross
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom