Do you name your guineas

I agree with @My2butterflies ,if they stand out they get a name, like my white female that was the only egg that hatched out of eight I bought off Ebay, hence her name is Ebay and a few others with stories so they get names. My 10 young adults(4 guinea brooded and 6 garage brooded) are all very similarly pied and naming would be very confusing. Guinea are a taste treat for sure and I had planned on culling a few to get my ratio correct but I'm at 8 hens and 7 cocks which I feel is pretty good and i don't want to mess that up. But having just bought a 50# bag of white millet and shocked by the price rise $20 to $37 (anybody else get that) , I may change my tune😋
Manny,mo,jack.alldiffent colors had them for 5yrs so far.

How do you guys know your guineas apart? I can only tell my lavender guineas from the pearl grays. I used to name them when I only had like 5 but now with 15+ I can't keep track of them lol.
It helps a lot if the guineas are different colors. For pied birds, I look at their pattern and any shapes I see. Telling apart Pearl greys is particularly hard for me! I currently have five and can still find my older girls, but the new girls and boys are tough. They are young yet, so I’m hoping casque size and shape will eventually help there.

After color, I look at their casque size and shape. Some of mine look like a sharks fin (Welsh, Pearl, Victor), some more like an upright triangle (Viceroy), a pointy thorn (Ghost), or a cartoon bump on the head (Bruiser).

Back
Top Bottom