Do you need a permit to own DOMESTIC ducks in Florida? IDEAL POULTRY SAID I HAVE TO HAVE A PERMIT FO

kellyn

Songster
8 Years
Nov 17, 2011
bunnell, Florida
Hi, yesterday I ordered 20 ASSORTED domesticated ducks from Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms and the operator told me I had to have a permit for freakin' assorted ducks, like swedish, khaki campbell and such! It was absurd! And has had me at my wits' end all day. I have 4 NON-pekin ducks, that might I add canNOT fly to save their lives, that I got from my feed store who bought them @ Ideal. Now I know THEY don't have a permit. And funny, funny, my grandmother who ALSO! Does not have this so-called permit, that ordered hers 15 minutes before mine, said, BRAGGGED! About the different breeds she would be receiving in a couple of days.

The dumb woman said i'd only be getting mostly pekins... I want diferent ypes, and only coninued my order bcause she neglected to tell me this BEFORE I gave her my card number.

They're supposed to come in the mail tomorrow, so maybe I might get a few muscovies, at the very least.

Aren't the only ducks u need permits for are flying malards?

Does anyone know if it is true or not that you hve to have a permit for domestic ducks in florida?

Ok, sorry for anyone who had to read that. But gosh, it really has me stressed. :'(

And sorry if I offended anyone. 90% of my birds are from there and other than that, I do like them.

Hi, yesterday I ordered 20 ASSORTED domesticated ducks from Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms and the operator told me I had to have a permit for freakin' assorted ducks, like swedish, khaki campbell and such! It was absurd! And has had me at my wits' end all day. I have 4 NON-pekin ducks, that might I add canNOT fly to save their lives, that I got from my feed store who bought them @ Ideal. Now I know THEY don't have a permit. And funny, funny, my grandmother who ALSO! Does not have this so-called permit, that ordered hers 15 minutes before mine, said, BRAGGGED! About the different breeds she would be receiving in a couple of days.
The dumb woman said i'd only be getting mostly pekins... I want diferent ypes, and only coninued my order bcause she neglected to tell me this BEFORE I gave her my card number.
They're supposed to come in the mail tomorrow, so maybe I might get a few muscovies, at the very least.
Aren't the only ducks u need permits for are flying malards?
Does anyone know if it is true or not that you hve to have a permit for domestic ducks in florida?
Ok, sorry for anyone who had to read that. But gosh, it really has me stressed. :'(
And sorry if I offended anyone. 90% of my birds are from there and other than that, I do like them.
Never heard of such a thing, but i don't live in FL.

Any Mallard dirived breed of duck does require a FL permit to keep.

All migratory ducks need a permit to keep.

Scovy are concidered an invasive species, and Ideal does not sell them

Last edited:
Amiga, yes there is a local laws area here on BYC. The permit here in FL is not a big deal, sadly Ideal isn't a first choice for waterfowl, and doesn't care to help buyers understand anything. They just give a statement and leave the buyer confused.

Well either way, there is no way in h*ll I'm going to spend 50-100+ bucks each year on a permit (that was likly only reserved for mallard and flying muscovy, and to make $$ for our greedy politicins) for a scarce dozen ducks when other people don't do it. And besides, no one has ever said anything to me about it before. No game wardens or nothing. One of my dad's friends runs a famers market(mainly for livestock and poultry) and I've yet to see anyone who "enforces the law" there. Probably .5% of the people who sell there actually do have permits. Which is so far one person, and he deals in Coturnix and Bob white quail.

StevenW.: That lady WAS rather vile, if I do say so myself. I mustve gotten a different one than my grandmother. As expensive as Meyer Poultry are, at least they have nice people handling the phones.

CelticOaksFarm: Maybe in south florida they piss and moan about that, but I've never had, nor have I ever heard of anyone getting fined or anything for livestock, unless they're severely amaciated. And that was only once. 'Guess they just don't care.

Amiga: thanks fo the reference, but I didnt see anything on non-mallards. I already know about the hybrid stuff, an such. It still doesn't explain why you have to have a permit to own breeds like swedish and such. But thanks anyways. :) and for the lore.. I think I've seen it, and in my area it doesn't describe well. Guess I'll hafta check up on that too, huh?

From the Don't Shoot the Messenger Department
hide.gif

If I read that FWC web site correctly, when they say "mallard" they mean all mallard-derived domestic breeds. And their stated concern is that the domestics will produce viable offspring with wild populations of spotted ducks.

The pet permit, if I understand, is free.

By the way ... I would be frosted if I were in your shoes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom