do you need a permit to sell pheasents such as the golden and if so...

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by birdman123, Oct 17, 2010.

1. birdman123

birdman123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    do i need a permit to own/breed/and sell exotic breeds of pheasents such as the reeves,impeyans,red golden, golden, ect ect
    and if so i would like to know exactually what the permit is called so i can get it
    please and thanks
    cole

2. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I believe you only need a permit for ringnecks.

Im interested to see what other ohioians have to say

3. birdman123

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    thank you
    so i dont need a permit to sell golden or reeves or the fancy breeds
    whats the permit called

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You need to check with your states fish and game dept.Each state has their own rules and regulations,not all are the same.Here in N.H only ringneck pheasants need a permit,but next door in Maine,they need for all species.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

6. birdman123

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    anyone have a link as to where i can find what i need
    i cant find nothin

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:X2

X3
    But in addition, if you plan to sell out of state , you must get your NPIP certification as well. It is illegal to ship into any state except Rhode Island or Wyoming without it, all others require a minimum pullorum/typhoid test, many now also require additional test for AI and MG as well as 50% of the states require you to have additional state import permits on top of the NPIP certificate to legally ship into their states, and even then, some require State vet cretificates on top of all that, Virginia comes to mind, they are one of the strictest states in the country when it comes to shipped in poultry.
    If you only plan to sell within your state, your state laws will be all that applies, but very, very few people can do that, most will have to ship eventually to move all their birds.

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:google search Ohio Department of Animal Heath, or Ohio Dept of Natural Resources, captive bred animal permits
    That should get you close

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yep, here in FL you need a permit for all pheasants and any duck that is not a Pekin or Muscovy. It is not bad, $50 a year, but if you are just keeping them as pets and not breeding, it's free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by