Ended Do You Need A Rollaway Nest Box? - Win A Free Nest Box From Urban-Egg.com

My "coop" is the wash aisle of an old hog barn at my house. I rent from my grandma so can only change so many things. Being its the wash aisle it has cement sides/walls, and it doesn't lend itself to mounting anything on said walls. I have used kitty litter pails, and just letting them lay on the ground. All these options have led to eggs being broken, dirty, or eaten pretty consistently. Winning this would be amazing since I could build an easy box for it to sit on, and the eggs would roll away from them staying clean, unbroken, and uneaten. It gets pretty disheartening putting so much money into them, and coming out to gather just shells, or really dirty eggs so this would be a dream come true. Thank you for the opportunity to win this amazing prize!

I can't figure out how to edit this, but I meant to add a picture with the original. As you can see the walls are concrete which, being great for no drafts, doesn't allow for me to mount anything on it. Also, don't worry, this alley is much longer than this picture shows, they just like to scrunch themselves together in winter.

IMG_0599.JPG

I have been researching rollaway nest boxes for some time since I have 15 hens that all want to use the same 2 nesting boxes despite multiple other options available in the same area of the coop. It would save on broken eggs from over crowding and cleaner eggs to boot. It would be so nice to not have to scrub crowded nest boxes AND dirty eggs. I've watch videos from people that went to rollaway options and the benefits of no more dirty and broken eggs are incredible! I've been saving for such a nesting box, but since the chickens are my wee hobby for sanity as a single mom, it kinda gets left to last in the budget darn it. :jumpy

Attachments

• 20191019_161554.jpg
    20191019_161554.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I moved in with my dad last year, as his full time caregiver. I brought my chickens with me, which he seems to like.

My chickens went from having a full yard to roam in to having to be in a small run in my dad's yard - which was actually a repurposed catio. Funds are low, since I had to quit working to take care of dad, and a friend had this catio to get rid of. This worked till a few months ago, when a dog broke in and killed all but three of my ladies.

I decided to turn the old playhouse into a more secure coop, because dad had most of the parts I'd need laying around the place. It worked out pretty good, the sandbox is now a covered dust bath and the swing section is the new run.

Unfortunately, one of my poor traumatized girls is eating the eggs. Something like this could be set up inside the coop, with the exit chute out the back so whichever lady is crunching them won't get a chance.
20190604_114129_Burst01.jpg

I need this nesting box because I am doubling the size of my flock tomorrow, and my old homemade ones aren't going to cut it. Fresh eggs first thing in the morning are how I help to keep my disabled vet husband healthy. Clean ones first thing in the morning would change our world, since we work from home and he starts his days with very early meetings. It's always a race to get those eggs collected, cleaned, cooked, and downed before he needs to speak with his teammates. We miss the days when a quick bowl of cereal would do, but he needs the low carb, high omega 3 breakfast he gets every day from our girls to fight his diabetes and heart disease. CLEAN fresh eggs. That would be so cool!

I would definitely love to be given the opportunity to win a nesting box like this. I can easily envision this coming in handy this winter as the girls get a bit restless in the colder Kentucky weather. As the daylight hours grow shorter their time outside is understandably near and dear to them, unfortunately I sometimes can’t make it out to let them into the run until later in the morning (after my toddler decides to rise and shine) as my mini me insists she goes with me to visit the girls. This delay thus causes issues with the girls crowding into the current wooden nesting boxes in order to gaze longingly outside and ending in eggs being trampled upon and broken. Add freezing temps to this mix and the subsequent broken egg contents freezes to everything it comes into contact with (straw, poop, feathers, other eggs, etc) causing a real mess and tempting the girls to become loathsome egg eaters. So not only would this solve and or prevent this dilemma quite perfectly, it would also allow for quite less mess in egg collecting for my daughter and myself. :)

Also, good luck to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom