Do you really need to block the nesting boxes?

Kolbeslayadayinn

Chirping
Nov 7, 2023
Minnesota
I've been seeing some people on social media say the boxes should be covered until close to laying age.
My dad who has raised chickens for 40+ years says this isn't necessary.

I've got my roost bars well above the nesting boxes

Thoughts * opinions?

Side note: I'm starting my flock with hatching eggs from various locations so have a good month or so to make changes if needed

If you solve a problem that doesn't exist you are taking a chance at creating another problem. There are times when blocking the nests can be a good idea, but if you block them unnecessarily you take the chance of forcing them (pullets or existing laying hens) to learn to lay somewhere you don't want them to.

I never block mine. I have a mixed age flock where hens are laying when pullets are maturing enough to lay. I do not want to teach my hens to lay somewhere else on the small chance the pullets might sleep in the nests if I don't. If my pullets start sleeping in the nests I deal with that problem differently. That doesn't happen often.

I'll repeat, there are times blocking the nests might be a good idea but I try to not solve a problem that doesn't exist as I will probably create another problem.

I built in hinged covers for when chicks are not yet roosting.
I close them an hour before roosting time, then uncover after dark when I lock up.
It's very handy.

full

full

Back
Top Bottom