1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you process birds as needed for table, or just large batches?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mrs. Mucket, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm just curious--how many of you process chickens as you need them for meals, like many farmers did in past generations? Or do you just raise them in large batches for freezer or canning?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The vast majority of our birds are sold so we do them in larger batches. When we were raising just for our personal consumption, we still processed in batches but they were smaller amounts and we would raise them a few times a year. Right now we are processing every two weeks for our business.

3. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    We plan on doing both. 1 big event for our Cornish Cross birds (100) here in June when they're 7 weeks old. Then when the other boys are grown taking them as needed. I also plan on camponizing the Cornish Cross when they are dead to practice and then doing all the other boys(100) so they'll be more tender/tasty and will then be able to mingle with our girls (100) and not aggravate them.

Honey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by