Do you REALLY let them in your home??

kimntep

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Ocala, Florida
I've heard so many stories and I've seen lots of pics showing chickens in the house. Does this really happen? My husband would absolutely FLIP! How do they not poop all over everything or, if they do, how do you clean up after them? Hmm..maybe I could train Polly to use Cookie's litter box!
lol.png

Last edited:
Some people have these cute little chicken diapers they put on their silkies that are house pets......I personally don't let them roam about the house....The only time they're inside is when they're chicks in the brooder, then they're in the basement, contained of course.

I've had a few that were caged downstairs as well in my "chicken hospital" due to an illness......

No free ranging house chickens yet though! hahaha (ARG, that would be sooooo gross!)

Someone posted a link to a blog by a guy who claimed to housetrain his chickens! If it wasn't a joke, then wonders will never cease, I guess
D.gif

Mine are inside for a few days right after they hatch, but they don't leave the brooder! (unless it's for a quick photo op, but right back in the brooder they go!)

My chickens and turkeys sneak in the house.

It is great fun for the kiddos, to chase them out.

Quote:
i have a few chickens that ALWAYS somehow sneak in, be it through the window, through the shed doors, through the cat flap....them chickens are smart.

But i do have a house chicken, his name is Wussel, a large white cochin who was very sick when i got him. we nursed him back to health and since then he's kinda bonded with us and sleeps inside at night, then wonders the garden in the day. if we forget to let him in he pecks on the door until we hear him (he's too big to fit through the cat flap!)

he is and always will be my favourite, he's even stolen my fellas heart...he's such a big soft cuddly chicken!

Quote:
And alpacas! (speaking as someone who lives in a ranch where we have chickens AND alpacas... none of whom are allowed in the house....)

Edited to add that when I have the door open & the chickens try to wander in, I chase them out and tell them, "Now, you know you're not allowed in the big coop! Go on out!" Yes, we do refer to the house as "the big coop". Does that mean we are chicken obsessed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom