Do you sell cleaned eggs or as is?

I was just reviewing this and it looks like most back yard farmers we just rinse them. I would suggest that some attention be given to Salmonella. It is my understanding from basic osmosis that because eggs are pourous that they should be cleaned in warm water and not cold. I was always curious about vinegar and I even saw someone use a Brillo pad
ep.gif
yuk to that. I do sell to the public at the farmers market. I will sell to people unwashed eggs with a disclaimer that they should wash before use. People who sail like the unwashed eggs. I have a separate egg refridgerator.and put my unwashed eggs in there and wash before I sell them. I recommend warm water even if they look clean. I am organic farmer and have been using the enzyme cleaner. I am now a bit distressed as I have been told they have stopped making It? Anyone else use an enzyme cleaner or have any methods of cleaning that meet close to organic standards? I also candle all my eggs to check for cracks and give the dogs scrambled eggs with the cracked. If they have a little obscure crack then we have pound cake or Quiche. Any thought on cleaning products?

although am not getting enough eggs to make it worth selling at the moment,they get given to family when they come to visit every week and also support staff.
a lot of people do have issue with seeing the dirt.
used to wash them with brinsea incubator disinfectant as this is also sold for washing eggs to but needs diluting more than when washing the incubator.
when ran out of it the last time,didnt have any money so just began using baby wipes to clean off any clear dirt markings instead.

with hatching eggs will use a soft wipe and large starbucks frappachino cup full of diluted brinsea disinfectant-the cup is the perfect size and it doesnt cost anything extra if are a buyer of the drinks.
one of the chickens of mine;kanner was born under developed due to catching cocciodosis pre birth-fought to save him,had him on the baycox and syringe fed him during his weakest days,he woud sit on the bed cuddling up whilst was using the laptop ,he managed to get through it and developed into a large beautiful cuckoo maran cockrel but the cocci had had a effect on his behavior; he was habitualy very agressive-bitten so badly by him was covered in dark bruises and it also spilt blood,he woud square up to humans let alone his fellow cockrel coopmate,moved him to our farm where he now lives the life of riley; living in a big run with over ten hens.
found out of the person had got the eggs off every other brother/sister of his had died of the same problem so he was very lucky.
it had put a lot of fear into self to make sure hatching eggs are as cleaned as possible,whether that had been the problem or not.

Last edited:
I clean mine with egg wipes that I bought at the local AG store. I think they are more appealing to a customer if they are clean. I also want clean eggs when I handle them before we cook them. I think it just makes since to have a clean egg in the fridge or on the sale table.

We don't have many extra eggs - and I don't sell them - but I do give away eggs to my friends and family. I do not wash them. If they are dirty or stained, I boil them, chop them up shell & all, then give them back to the chickens. It's their favorite snack!

is no one concerned about salmonella? just curious. I know areas where inspectors wave the blue light wand to look for bacteria. I will look into that disinfectant. Mahalo. So far no one but me uses enzyme cleaner? I will kepp searching.

I use an enzyme wash on all my eggs. I keep the dirty ones separate as I collect them, and pre wash them with warm water and a plastic scrunchy type pad. Then they all go into one of those green plastic coated wire baskets and into a 5 gallon bucket with "Egg Washer Pro" in warm water and a home made bubbler (made from 1/2 inch PVC pipe) connected to a small air compressor. I bubble them for 10-15 minutes, dry them on a Sham-Wow, put them in cartons, and into a small dorm room refrigerator that I use just for eggs. From 26 hens, we get about 6 dozen per week in the winter and 10 dozen in the summer.

Paul

I use an enzyme wash on all my eggs. I keep the dirty ones separate as I collect them, and pre wash them with warm water and a plastic scrunchy type pad. Then they all go into one of those green plastic coated wire baskets and into a 5 gallon bucket with "Egg Washer Pro" in warm water and a home made bubbler (made from 1/2 inch PVC pipe) connected to a small air compressor. I bubble them for 10-15 minutes, dry them on a Sham-Wow, put them in cartons, and into a small dorm room refrigerator that I use just for eggs. From 26 hens, we get about 6 dozen per week in the winter and 10 dozen in the summer.

Paul
Thanks for your reply we do a similar system where do you get your egg washer pro on line or at store?

Dagirls....I got it on line. I bought a gallon, but in hindsight, I should have bought a smaller amount. It goes a long, long way. I don't know if the enzymes grow or what, but there is a slimy algae stuff forming in it. I've had it about a year and a half, kept at room temp. I emailed the Egg Washer Pro manufacturer asking if it had a limited shelf life, and they said there was no problem with shelf life, but I think I'm going to run it through some cheese cloth or something. If you only have a small backyard flock, I'd only order a quart.

Paul

I have a lot of eggs and buy about a qt every 2 weeks. Where I buy it said they were not getting anymore so looking for another "organic" way to clean for market. Thanks for the heads up maybe a year is long for an enzyme type product once opened.

Back
Top Bottom