Do you sell feathers? Question....

How can I get in on this? I have a big bag of feathers I want to sell. From my Mille Fleur and Splash Cochin Roosters. Do you think I have a chance to sell them on eBay? Or here (BST)?

Ebay, yes. Here? No.
lol.png

The key though with most is to get LONG saddle feathers from a very well barred rooster. There's actually a breed specifically for that too, can't remember the name though. Feathersite had a page for them. Crazy long saddles.

Hello Orange Ribbon. I've used Borax for a lot of pheasant skins. Actually for lots of full bird skins. Glad you came in. Now we can pick your brain a bit.

Tried to get this on earlier. It was nicer 10+ years ago.

I don't have much of what I do with feathers around right now, but this is one of my baskets

44123_dream_basket.jpeg

Egg Rookie 2010

I sold a lot of feather wreaths at Christmas festivals years ago. Wish I have a pic of my favorite. Lots of whites, white fuffys and peacock feathers. I love feather. Except during moulting when you can just rack up once a day.

Last edited:
Oooh, I like that basket, wolftracks. Very nice!

I just got a new flock of grown Speckled Sussex. I was out in the coop today picking up every feather I could find. Didn't get many, but they are quite pretty. I have some Barred Rocks too along with some others. Oh, I have these yellow and white barred roosters that are going into the freezer soon. Now I bet those feathers would be really nice on something. Man, I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. I didn't get anything done because I spent all day following behind my chickens with a plastic bag! Tomorrow I'm going to catch a few and see if I can shake some feathers loose. Might take the air hose to them and see if anything blows out. JUST KIDDING!
big_smile.png

Like Wolftracks I have used feathers in crafts for years, even before I had my own birds. ditto what others say about preserving the skin with Borax. I would add that skins will keep better if you remove any flesh or fat from the messy side of the skin. You can use a spoon to get most of it.

I heard about the hair feather fad right here on BYC a month ago. Someone was warning folks to beware at county fairs, because teenagers are cutting tail swords for their hair. Funny thing was, I was getting a haircut a few days later, in Stanton KY. I JOKED about this city fad and the lady actually said it was all the latest rage, and pulled some out of a drawer. She was going to try and make some herself, but was having trouble. So I showed her some tricks.

Hackle is what everyone wants, but other parts can work. The major obstacle is the quill. Archers do not see this as a problem. Tail swords or wing feathers can be "stripped", the pretty part peeled away from the quill like the peel off a banana. Then the little remaining strip can be trimmed to shape, curled, dyed or heaven knows what. The act of curling the quill, pulling it across a scissors, also cleans away any remaining pith and limbers things up.

I was under the impression fly tyers really don't want the natural oils removed from their feathers. Bleach would be a major mistake. Definitely use a little shampoo and blow dry. Some also cycle the feathers in and out of the freezer to kill any hitchikers.

Wow! This is turning out to be a great thread! So much good info here! Thanks Egg Rookie for asking the question!
clap.gif

What did you end up doing with your roo??
pop.gif

OMG!! This is amazing! I have recently noticed teens walking around with feathers in their hair. I thought I had take a trip back to the 80's, but I guess not! LOL Wait until I tell my DDs.
big_smile.png
My 2nd son loves to collect feathers to trade at the summer pow-wows. Of course I'm a fan of just about anything that's not going to waste. Thanks for all the helpful info!
love.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom