Do you seperate your pasty butt chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cherstin, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this, so please bear with me. From what I can find on research, pasty butt can be attributed to stress (shipped birds), not enough "good" protein in the diet, or too-high a temperature in the brooder. I've read to treat by cleaning the area gently, then adding either fresh yogurt to their diet or apple cider vinegar to their water.

My question is: Do you separate the pasty-butts from the non pasty-butts? I'm not sure if I should be treating this like an illness (contagious) or not.

Thank you!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't separate. Usually not an illness, just a case of diarrhea.

I use a soft cloth with vinegar, it helps soften it and disinfects.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    No need to seperate just clean it's bottom. Now here is a problem.............. the whole feeding Yogurt and ACV. A very young chick needs to get it's system started and regulated first, giving this uneeded supplement is not advisable. Just hold the chick and use your finger to drop water it until it can't drink any more then try again in a hour or so. a little electrolite in the water will help. Pasty butt comes from it not getting enough water.

4. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Thank you! I'd considered the yogurt as I figured they'd dig it, but I really didn't want to clean the yogurt off of 29 chicks. I figured it would be more mess than anything else. The apple cider vinegar, I'd read people then complain that they couldn't get the chicks to drink the water due to its bitter taste. (Sounds like it might defeat the purpose.)

I'm definitely down with the "Keep It Simple" method. I'll clean and beak-dip again. I appreciate the advice, everyone!

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Pasty butt is often a sign of stress and over heating, under hydrated. It normally passes in a few days.

Hold the chick's butt under tepid running water. After a while, as it softens, crumble the mess off, gently!! Do not pull or you'll often take feathers with it. Lube the area with Olive oil or vasoline to keep the next poop from sticking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by