Do you seperate your Roos and Hens?

Porterfive

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Collinsville, MS
We have thought about seperating our roos from our hens when we aren't pulling hatching eggs. Mainly to give the hens a rest as the roo is pretty rough on them.

Is this a bad thing or good thing? Any "side effects" so to speak about seperating the roo from the hens?

Will it effect the roos or hens adversely? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks,

I took the roosters out of my layers pen. The hens now seem to be alot calmer and their feathers certainly look alot better.

My roosters are coming out tommorrow. They will be getting visits. I prefer to see the hens fully feathered and my roosters are getting a little rough on them, they arent real bad but I have the room so I am going to have a rooster pen. I hope they like batching it.

Good Morning,

For winter I moved my roos to a bachelor pad away from the hens.... the roos were perfectly fine. My hens, however, got all confused. On warmer days, I let the girls out to free range. Beyond the coop, there is no confinement. After a couple weeks some of the girls broke from the flock and decided to roost outdoors at night... another small group started sleeping at the foundation of the farmhouse. So.... I moved my most protective roo back into the henhouse. He makes sure all the girls come back in at dusk... good boy, Spanky!

As far as adversity? I haven't seen any yet....

I am thinking of removing two of my roosters too. One is beginning to mount anything in the coop that moves....even the guinea's. He is the only one that I have noticed having an interest in the guinea's.

I took out one guinea hen that he was infatuated with. She wasnt getting enough food and always hiding. Today, he was pacing the fence, cause he saw her on the outside of the pen. When i opened the door, he darted after her. That about caused him to be sunday dinner.

He is the only rooster I have that acts that way. The other three are 'normal'. I guess DH and I must build a seperate pen for them inside the coop. ...darn it.

My roos are staying with the hens. I am thinking about cutting back to one rooster, but only because I want him to be the one to fertilize any eggs for hatching and he's not the alpha right now.
I free-range all day and those roosters are the best protection my hens have. Both boys are gentle with the hens and I don't have bare backed hens.

Back
Top Bottom