Rooster aggressive behavior

t-leigh

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
Ah, yes, rooster woes...
So we don't have chickens, but our neighbors do and any number between 5 and 12 will visit us during the day. I think they like it because we have lots of trees, shade, bugs, and dirt patches to roll in. The hens are super sweet and fun to have around.
They lost some from predation and added a few new hens and a roo. They were young, the roo hadn't totally developed a comb yet and his tail feathers were pulled, just a pink butt. I thought whoever was selling sold him as a hen, but now I think they bought the roo to protect the flock. At first the older original hens would chase him around. But he's matured and got the hormones and as far as his flock, he seems to be a very good roo. Always alert, will break up hen fights fairly, but he started getting aggressive to my husband and I. Their hang out is next to where our horses live, so we're down there feeding and such at least 3 times a day.
So roo started stalking me as I walked back up toward the house, and pretend pecking at the ground when I'd turn around. Then if I didn't look in time he'd fling himself at my rubber boots (which I started wearing because of his behavior - definitely not my choice of summer footwear). He looks mature. Feathers are growing back in, stands tall, very impressive comb. I've squirted water, tried squeaking a rubber toy at him, both worked to some degree. The best thing has been to turn around and walk backwards up the hill, eyes on him the whole time. But then he's frontal attacked, still just at foot level, but gahhh. I've tried moving him backwards by walking toward him (basically I only know how to deal with horse problems), and he did the fluffed ruff.
Yesterday he completely left his flock to stalk me past my truck and into part of the yard he doesn't go in.
Sorry for the book. Any suggestions? And, again, not my bird so stew pot/culling isn't helpful.
Oh, I did take care of putting them back in their barn 2 nights while his people were gone and didn't note the same stalky aggression on their side of the fence.
Someone else said it feels like they're stalking you to rob you, that was spot on.
I will say I'd rather figure a way to handle things than have the hens not be able to free range.
TIA!

Without writing a huge response, I guess the first question would be, how much time/effort do you want to put into reforming your neighbors roo?

The fact that he seems calmer on his home turf is encouraging. He may just be on edge when on unfamiliar territory. But his aggressive behavior on yours is obviously untenable.

If you’re willing to invest time and effort there are things you can do to (probably) establish a working relationship between you and him. But it’s no guarantee. And it’s harder, since he’s not yours and you can’t control the times/frequency of your interactions.

Or, if you want to let the hens range you could always just avoid going to the areas where they hang while they’re out.

It is 100% the responsibility of the owner to contain their animals. I would tell the owner, in no uncertain terms, to contain the rooster or he will be

Without writing a huge response, I guess the first question would be, how much time/effort do you want to put into reforming your neighbors roo?

The fact that he seems calmer on his home turf is encouraging. He may just be on edge when on unfamiliar territory. But his aggressive behavior on yours is obviously untenable.

If you’re willing to invest time and effort there are things you can do to (probably) establish a working relationship between you and him. But it’s no guarantee. And it’s harder, since he’s not yours and you can’t control the times/frequency of your interactions.

Or, if you want to let the hens range you could always just avoid going to the areas where they hang while they’re out.
They're right where I have to walk to get to my horses when I feed them or work with them, so that won't work.
He's been coming over here for months and was fine until the hormones kicked in. As I said, I very much enjoy having them around. I have a fair amount of time on my hands, so ideally I'd like to be able to work it out with at least a mutual respect outcome. Not even respect necessarily, just mutual tolerance and stop stalking me. I know where they are about 8 hours of the day, and go down there multiple times to feed/check/work with horses. IOW, I have time and know the schedule the birds keep.

So, first things first. I agree with @Brooks. A roo at large might as well be a dog at large.

That said. A combination of an assertive, but not aggressive attitude, and a pocket full of treats is probably going to get you started.

Walk up to them, toss a handful of scratch, then go about your business. He, and the girls, will be distracted and busy.

Then, when it’s time to leave, same deal. Walk up to him. Look at him. Toss a handful of scratch. And leave.

Do that consistently for a couple days. Then make it more sporadic. You don’t want to make him think you’re a food machine, but you do want him to associate you with good things. You’re developing trust. You bring treats and don’t attack the hens, he doesn’t attack your boots. It’ll probably be a bit of a process.

And if he attacks you again, time to rethink strategy.

So, first things first. I agree with @Brooks. A roo at large might as well be a dog at large.

That said. A combination of an assertive, but not aggressive attitude, and a pocket full of treats is probably going to get you started.

Walk up to them, toss a handful of scratch, then go about your business. He, and the girls, will be distracted and busy.

Then, when it’s time to leave, same deal. Walk up to him. Look at him. Toss a handful of scratch. And leave.

Do that consistently for a couple days. Then make it more sporadic. You don’t want to make him think you’re a food machine, but you do want him to associate you with good things. You’re developing trust. You bring treats and don’t attack the hens, he doesn’t attack your boots. It’ll probably be a bit of a process.

And if he attacks you again, time to rethink strategy.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom