Do you take them out of the turner on day 18?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Feb 6, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I was just wondering the exact time that I'm supposed to be taking the eggs out of the turner. Tomorrow morning is day 18. So do I take them out in the morning or at the end of the day. I was thinking that you are supposed to stop turning them 3 days before they hatch so if I take them out in the morning wouldn't that be 4 days, day 18,19,20, and 21? Or do you not count day 21 because it's the day they are supposed to hatch.

Sorry for the silly question. I know it's not super important but I was just curious. I don't want to wonder if I'm doing the right thing, I want to know that I am.

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I couldn't find the post on here, but I think I remember the LAST day you turn them is day 17. So, day 18 would be when you stop turning them? Is that right? Help?[​IMG]

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    the 17th is the las day you turn them the 18 you are suppose to raise the humidity up then just leave them alone you can even leave them in the turner just unplug the turner, but i feel it is not safe havign turner in there as it is more hazards for the the chick to hurt them selves on, but the 17th day is the last time to turn and open bator after that you min as well forget about them, unless you are like me where i had a chick pip on day 17 (yesterday) and was born today (day 18) well wishing you luck [​IMG]

4. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thanks so much. These are my first chicks to hatch in an incubator. I did some quail last month but I can't wait to see little chicks. So will take them out of the turner tomorrow and raise the humidity and leave them alone. Once again, thanks for your quick response.

5. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    your welcome here is a pic of my chick that hatched just a couple hours ago it was only day 18 this is to get you in the mood
    [​IMG] and once again your welcome, any other questions just pm me or post and i will answer

6. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    That's so exciting. I can't wait. I have Buff Orps and BLRWs. So I hope I have a good hatch. I want one to hatch early too. I'm jealous. [​IMG]

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    From the information I received on ducks which is 28 days you stop turning the last 3 days. So for chickens you would stop on day 18, think of it as the chicks take 21 days to hatch. So that does not mean they stop developing on day 20 and then hatch on day 21. They are developing until they hatch. My last day of turning is 25 on ducks and I stop, on chickens my last day of turning is day 18 and I stop so I stop on day 25 for ducks and day 18 for chickens. BUT I turn them on that day as it is the last day and where to stop, hope that makes sense.

Another way to put it is most people work 5 days a week and stop working on day 5, but are off on the weekend.

I was curious about this myself so I called a duck hatchery, there response was do not turn the last 3 days not the last 4. Hope that helps.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Take the turner out of the bator. You want to keep it clean for the next hatch.

If they've been in turners you can put them in cartons w/ bottoms cut out and leave the eggs in them pointy side down. (same way they were in the turners)

Makes for a cleaner hatch and keeps the first hatchers from rolling the other eggs around.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The last time to turn is the evening of day 18, take them out of the turner if you have one, then you candle and bump your humidity levels and leave the incubator closed for the next 3 days. If you have a hatcher and have done a staggered hatch you take the eggs that are due out and put them in the hatcher to pip and hatch.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Tuffoldhen what do u mean take out and put
    them into the hatcher?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by