Do you "talk" to your eggs?

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
I have hatched 3 batches of call ducks now. The first three I incubated from day one in my cruddy Little Giant Incubator and would talk to them as I was turning, and when they were in the process of pipping and hatching. The last two batches were two ducklings each. The first hatched under the chicken mommy, and the second finished hatching in the incubator the last day. I have noticed a huge difference in how friendly the ducklings are to me. The first three I incubated in the Little Giant would follow me around in the yard and more or less thought I was their mama. The two that hatched under the chicken are scared to death of me. I took them out in the yard thinking they would follow me like the others and had to have my husband help me catch them when they ran and hid under our propane tank.
lol.png
It is amazing how fast two week old ducklings can run! The two that hatched in the incubator after being sat on by a chicken the first 27 days are a bit young to tell how they will react to me, but seem a little friendlier so far, maybe because I talked to them after they had pipped and hatched.

Do you talk to your eggs in the incubator and do you think it makes a difference in your experience?

Last edited:
Sigh......and you HAVE to be from Michigan?? JUST KIDDING!!!

Nope, I don't talk to mine. I DO, however, whistle to them when they are on day 19+!!

Okie dokie, then!

Maybe I'll try on my next hatch! So long as they don't talk back, I don't mind trying! Even if it gets one more chick to hatch, it's worth it!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Haha. You aren't insinuating that I am crazy for talking to my eggs?
tongue.png
I know there are probably crazier things that people do. Pretty eggs in your avatar by the way! I really want to get some dark chocolate brown layers. You aren't near Rockford by any chance?

Quote:
Haha. You aren't insinuating that I am crazy for talking to my eggs?
tongue.png
I know there are probably crazier things that people do. Pretty eggs in your avatar by the way! I really want to get some dark chocolate brown layers. You aren't near Rockford by any chance?

Me? Insinuating? Oh, I would NEVER....
wink.png

I'm near Flint, probably 2 hours from you. A super easy drive!

Are you coming to Chickenstock? (Check my siggy line!!)

Yes. I ask them if they are chickens yet and tell them they are pretty ladies.

So far 90% end up males, so I think I'm going to stop talking to them altogether.

Quote:
OH.....um.....okay, maybe I WON'T try talking to them. I'm already a good enough cockerel hatcher!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom