Do you think it's possible for a chick to be born without a crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarah92480, Mar 24, 2012.

1. sarah92480

sarah92480 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Eaton Rapids, MI
    I noticed that one of my six 3-wk-old chicks is always always eating. She seems to always be eating unless she is sleeping. I have felt the crops on the rest of my chicks bulging out, but on this chick, I never feel hers getting full. Shes also a little bit smaller than all of the rest of the chicks. Could she have been born without a crop, or a significantly smaller one, so she can't store food like the others? Has anyone ever heard of this, and is it even possible? Thanks in advance.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Anything is possible. I think it unlikely, but you can never rule out nature creating a new form of strangeness. It sounds like she is adapting to whatever is going on with her, so let it go. If she should pass, I would definitely open her up and see if there really was that kind of defect.

Good luck with her.

3. sarah92480

sarah92480 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Eaton Rapids, MI
    Thanks. Yea she seems to be acting fine otherwise, I just thought it was strange. All she ever wants to do is eat, more than all the others...hopefully she'll be a good layer :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by