do you think these RIRs are hens?

chuckyd

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
Hi there,

I got these SR RIRs about 4 weeks ago and they are nearly 5 weeks old now. I've read many of the posts regarding sexing RIRs, and judging from the comb development and color, I made my best guess at how many hens I have. Out of 9, I think I may have 5 hens, but maybe that is wishful thinking. The one in the foreground of the "hens" picture seems to have a little taller comb than the rest of them, but it seemed more yellow than the others that I deemed roosters. I may keep one rooster but want to re-home the rest and I understand that they have a better chance of not ending up on someones dinner plate if they are re-homed early, but I don't want to inadvertently give up a hen or wind up with more than one rooster (although I read two roos can do okay if they come from the same family, so maybe that is an option). From what I gathered from my research, the only real way to know is to wait until they start to crow or lay eggs.....

any advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

• roosters.jpg
    roosters.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 27
  • hens.jpg
    hens.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 24
All of them. Are. Cockerels in first pic and thinking at least 3 maybe 4 in second pic also so u may poss have a pullet or 2 in there I'm sorry xx

Yeah I think the first picture is all cockerels. The second picture looks like pullets to me but like you and others have said the one closest to the camera is still questionable. I know RIR mature fast and in my experience so do their combs so hopefully its a pullet.

Yeah I think the first picture is all cockerels. The second picture looks like pullets to me but like you and others have said the one closest to the camera is still questionable. I know RIR mature fast and in my experience so do their combs so hopefully its a pullet.
thanks for the feedback, I tried the hold them by the back of the neck and see if their legs dangle test, but I was afraid I was hurting them so didn't continue with that, I'll just have to be patient.....

Back
Top Bottom