Do you use homemade laundry detergent?

My Zote that I ordered from Walgreens finally came in. It is quite hard to melt compared to the Fels Naptha. It requires much hotter water. It smells a little bit like roses to me, but the scent is very faint. Fels Naptha has a super strong scent.

I used homemade detergent for a while. It did a fine job on the clothes, but I noticed that it left a residue inside my washer. I have gone back to Gain powder. I don't use liquid soaps because of the plastic containers it comes in.

I just did an experiment with my latest batch. I used the recipe I posted and then allowed the fatty stuff from the soap to float to the top. I skimmed that off and have been using the liquid left behind for my laundry. Works great and no soap residue to worry about.

Quote:
You might could add a little vinegar to each load, and that should stop the residue. I'll have to check my washer and see if it has any residue left behind.

Quote:
I have sensitive skin and can't take the fragrance in the Fels Napa, so I use Ivory soap instead and it works just as well (IMHO)
smile.png

Quote:
So do you mix yours like schellie69 with the water? We have hard well water. Will this recipe work in hw, or do I need to mix more of any of the ingredients?

I make my own laundry soap and will be using it in the HE washer. The HE washers have to be "cleaned" periodically anyway no matter what detergents you use. They make a special cleaner for them, but I am going to try the vinegar. (It's always been the way to wash out your coffee pot)

Quote:
If you only use 1-2 tbps, how long does a 5 gal bucket last, and does it go bad? There's only me and my DH, so we don't do tons of laundry , but In this summer heat, my DH laundry gets done every day as he is in construction, (stinky and dirty)! It just seems like a lot for only 2 people. Should I maybe try the powdered?

Back
Top Bottom