Do you use homemade laundry detergent?

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
I want to try making my own laundry detergent. I've convinced my husband of the savings, and how easy it is to make, but he's still paranoid. We have a brand new expensive HE washing machine, and he's REALLY worried that it will destroy our machine.

If you have used homemade laundry detergent in a front load HE machine, can you tell me how long you have used it? Has it destroyed your machine?
wink.png
Does it get your clothes clean?

I would greatly appreciate as many replies as I can get. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I have a front load HE washer and use homemade soap since the homemade soap does not suds like the regular stuff you are okay. It is the suds that do the damage in a HE washer that is what they do to make HE soap take the ingredient out that makes the soap suds up. I use a bar of soap (I use zote or the fels-nape(sp) some use regular bar soap) washing soda, borax and baking soda(to help with odors I have teenage boys) I make the liquid version a penny for 3 loads is what it breaks down to. This stuff last a long time. I also notice when using the homemade soap that my washer does not get that musty smell it got when I used commercial soap. I have used the homemade stuff on some clothes that where really bad and they came out clean and smelling really great. Here's my recipe if anyone wants to use it
1 bar of soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax
1/2-1 cup of baking soda (how every much you think you need) this is optional also.

Take 2 cups water put on stove to boil grate bar of soap into water mix until soap is dissolved

In a 5 gallon bucket fill half full with very hot tap water when soap is melted add it and the rest of ingredients and stir until mixed then finish filling bucket up with hot water stir to mix then let sit over night it will gel up just stir I use 1-2 tablespoons per load

I love the smell when I use the Fels-napa (sp) soap. I am going to try zote next I find these either at wal-mart or k-mart I find the washing soda at dillions it a Kroger store.

I had no issues with it on my old washer but with the new HE washer, the store clerk told me not to use it because it would rust or disable the components in the washer. So I went back to using Tide HE detergents.

I often wondered about that too...waiting for answers on that too!

A low sudsing one should work I think.

http://www.diynatural.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/

I use borax, vinegar, soap, and washing soda. Works like a charm. Mine isn't an HE though. Its a Fisher and Paykel expensive piece of garbage.
barnie.gif
he.gif
rant.gif

I mix about 1 cup of vinegar, 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of washing soda and 1 bar of Ivory soap together with water. It helps to let the soap soak in water for several hours ...or shred it and melt it on the stove.

This makes a very low-to no sudsing soap.

I use a small single-serve applesauce container per load. Two for my husbands hunting clothes.

It does clean wonderfully and the vinegar keeps a soap film from forming on the clothes. It doesn't smell like vinegar either.

Dropped in out of curiosity. The old timers say that the old homemade lye soap worked the best. They'd just run some through a cheese grater, but they were using the old enameled tubs with the hand crank wringers. I've been wanting to try this, but haven't found the time to make my own soap yet.

They sells Fels Naptha at our grocery store and also at our Walmart. I plan to use unscented Dr Bronners instead, though, and add an essential oil for scent.

EweSheep - I think the clerk was just blowing smoke. I've been doing a ton of research on it, and there are tons of people that use it in an HE machine with no problems. My husband just wants to hear positive reports from people on the boards I go to.

CluckyJay - That's exactly the recipe that I plan to use.
smile.png

I love using vinegar. I use it in the laundry all the time. I also use it as an all purpose cleaner mixed with dish soap and water. It took my husband 2 years to use it instead of the other store bought cleaner. lol

Last edited:
I used the homemade soap in my he machine for 2 years....no problems no issues machine still runs like a charm. I couldn't ever get the essential oils right to have a scent and I really liked having a scent on the clothes so I still use it occasionally but also use regular storebought soap too.

Quote:
I read the suggestion to use a rag or washcloth and put some of the essential oil on it, then throw it in the dryer with the clothes. Hopefully that works b/c I like my clothes to smell good also (though after a couple days sitting in the dresser or closet they don't smell anymore). Glad to hear that your machine still works great!
smile.png
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom