Do you use sand in your coop/run? Here is my solution to cleaning up!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mesquiteman, Sep 11, 2014.

1. mesquiteman

mesquiteman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    San Marcos, TX
    This is our first time raising chickens. We have had our coop and girls since June and, after reading here and a couple of blogs, I decided to go with sand for the coop. Initially I bought a kitty litter scoop to clean up the poop but that was a real pain. I then found a long handled kitty liter scoop but with the size of the scoop and an 8x8 coop to clean out, it was still a huge pain. My next idea was to make a wooden frame and staple 1/4" wire mesh to it. I would then scoop dirty sand and sift it through this screen, tossing the poop into a container. This was ok but still cumbersome to a degree since I would need to stop and empty the sifter regularily. I finally decided to try something else and it works WONDERFULLY!

I went to Lowes and bought a regular square shovel and some 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick steel stock.I marked out 1" around the edge of the shovel and used a cut off wheel in my angle grinder to cut out the center of the shovel. I then cut pieces of the steel stock to make a frame. I drilled and tapped this steel stock and drilled coresponding holes the the remaining part of the shovel. Lastly I cut some 1/4" wire mesh to fit and used screws through the mesh, shovel, and metal pieces, basically sandwiching the wire mesh between the shovel and steel frame.

To use, I place a large tub just outside the door of the coop. I scoop up a "shovel" full and the sand falls right through the wire mesh, leaving behind the poop. I then simply toss the poop in to the tub and keep going. I can clean the entire floor of the coop in just a few minutes without really bending over! Here are some pics of what I did in case anyone wants to consider making one of there own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    rbnk1 likes this.
  2. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    That is the biggest pooper scooper I've ever seen in my entire life! If my cats saw me coming with that, they'd high-tail it for the hills in fear that 'where there's a giant pooper scooper there's gotta be a giant litter box', and there's only one thing that can use a giant litter box and we all know what that is...yep!...a giant cat !!! LOL !!!

Seriously though, you took a rudimentary concept and applied your skills and know-how and developed it into a well oiled machine...well...er...shovel !!! I only have one question for you...Do you happen to know what time Lowe's opens in California because I need to make me one of them! [​IMG]

Thanks for the idea and the info!

3. mesquiteman

mesquiteman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    San Marcos, TX
    Maybe I should patent it and start selling them. I could end up with my own late night infomercial and become rich! I can see it now...Get your new Super Dooper Pooper Scooper now for only $49.95 plus shipping and handling. But wait, if you act now, we will send you a second Super Dooper Pooper Scooper for only $9.95 plus shipping and handling! Our operators are standing by so don't delay!

rbnk1 likes this.
  4. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    ...and let's not forget the free lifetime supply of poop bags to go with it...lol !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by