Do you wash eggs before placing them in incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jlgoinggreen, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    I just received my Black Copper Maran eggs and my Bourbon Red Turkey eggs. They came super dirty and I was wondering if we were supposed to wash them first? I here washing them is bad, but then hear that they shouldn't have gunk on them. So what should I do? Maybe brush the gunk off lightly with a soft brush? Is there a special soap I should use if I wash them?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Here are some pics of my new eggs [​IMG] [​IMG] :

BCM:

[​IMG]

Bourbon Red Turkey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Together [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I wouldn't wash them... They don't look that bad. You should see my duck eggs every day! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, never wash mine, but I never put poopy eggs in the bator. Yours look good.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I've heard to use a stiff brush....but those don't look too bad IMO [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dirty? Those are quite clean and pretty. If you really feel you MUST do something, a dry brush or fine grit sandpaper might help. Though I still say those are very clean eggs!

No water, certainly no soap.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I'm with the above posters. Those don't look dirty at ALL to me! You should see duck eggs if you want to see a dirty mess. I don't put poopy eggs in the bator, but those just have a little dirt on them. I use a toothbrush sometimes to get the big clumps of mud off.

7. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Thanks. I feel so blessed to have you guys to help me in my learning curve. [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree with everyone else, your eggs don't look dirty.

But if you do have dirty eggs one day maybe with lots of poop, mud. or dried egg yolk on them, I have had good results soaking dirty eggs for a few minutes in warm water with betadine in it. Lots of people tell you not to wash them but I have had good results with eggs that were soaked like that and refrigerated eggs.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Your eggs don't look dirty. And no you should never wash them when hatching. . . Just don't put in truly dirty ones like ones with poop smeared all over them. Dirt on the other hand can sometimes be lightly dusted off, and at other times won't harm the egg. [​IMG]

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh man, you got some Black Coppers! I tried, but I was a min late.[​IMG] So, I found some Cuckoo Marans/Americanas and also, one of the roos was a pure Cuckoo...plus had some black starrs...so, I picked out all of the dark ones she had left..hoping for a Maran, even if it isn't a Black Copper, they lay beautiful eggs, and my grandkids will love it! Your eggs are beautiful..look cleaner than mine. I've had some in the past that were dirty..hatched fine. Good luck, I envy you! [​IMG]
    Seriously, good luck..is your bator a still air? I would turn them at least three times a day, and move them around to different places in the bator...[​IMG]
    Cynthia

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by