Do you wear a helmet every time you ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's put it this way...it is obviously smarter to wear one than not. But, it really should be a personal choice, I prefer to let common sense dictate whether one wants to wear a helmet or not, than have it be dictated that I should wear one. To me, personal responsibility rules!!

BTW -- despite being very strongly pro-helmet, I have seen the 'western hat look' ones in use and man oh man oh man do they ever look DOOFUSY
tongue.png
You just *do* have to choose between "protective" and "traditional", not gonna get both in one package, not unless radically new materials are invented.

Pat, who still thinks "alive and with full brain function" is better than "lookin' good in a coffin or wheelchair, or having lost job and all friends due to personality changes from head injury, but nice lookin' hat"

Last edited:
Nope, sure don't and would never wear one again. And it isn't just because they are ugly as all get out....I could deal with ugly if I felt safer in one.

It makes riding very distracting to me and causes me not to be able to function at 100%. It is more dangerous for me to have one on than not so I will not ever put one back on for that reason.

I do serious eventing too. I am a header in dally team roping. I do cutting and I train horses. I have hurt my back far more than ever hurt my head.
wink.png

I don't think it should ever be forced and I wouldn't ride in any event that it was forced. People can make their own decisions about their own lives IMO.

Quote:
Oh my gosh, that DOES happen. You may still be standing and alive, but a completely different person than you once were! I've seen it from a kid in a skateboarding accident!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no helmet)

I don't think it's a matter of being forced to so much as being forced NOT to. Here's the AQHA rule:

445. ATTIRE
(a) In halter, speed events, team penning and other western
classes, appropriate western attire is required which includes pants
(slacks, trousers, jeans, etc.) long sleeves and collar (band, standup,
tuxedo, etc.) western hat and cowboy boots.

When I had my worst fall my horse slipped over on top of me on an asphalt road while a car was overtaking us. My worst injury was a big bruise, but I was wearing a body protector and helmet. I don't know that i'd be here to tell the tale if I hadn't been, and I resent organisations preventing me from making the decision to protect myself. If people don't want to wear helmets that's fine, but for heaven's sake let competitors wear them if they want to.​

Quote:
Exactly, and not for nothing, but I wouldn't want to be an organization liable if someone got irreparably hurt because of my rules.

I was never required to wear a helmet by my parents, but 4-H required me to do so. Let me tell you that it saved my head many a times! I still wear one even though nobody is telling me I have to. I feel naked without it. My dad wears his cowboy hat when he rides and I tried that once, but I hated it! I just felt so unsafe. You just never know what a horse will do, and on a trail those risks are even greater!

Back when I used to show, competitors wore cowboy hats in mounted western classes in the 4-H shows. I was actually happy to see them change the rules so that you HAD to wear a helmet during any riding class, not just speed events.

Quote:
Yes, I have often thought "oh I'm a good rider I can hang on no matter what the dang fool horse does" (and that has been TRUE). But the other (more sane) side of me says "the horse doesnt' give a phooey about how competent you are, he only thinks about the ferocious mailbox up ahead".

Generally you're going to have your worst fall when you become the most complacent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom