Do You Wish to Have a Rooster but Cannot Because of Close Neighbors?

I liked my rooster, even though he would try to attack me. I learned to carry a spray bottle of water with me, and would squirt him as soon as he came toward me with that mean look. Eventually I didn't have to squirt, just carry the bottle. He was injured in a raccoon attack and had to be put down and I miss him. Looking for another one now because I like to watch roos take care of the flock.

We've been enjoying the boxes so much. I can't remember life before them. ...so much more peace and quiet in the mornings. They still have a crow off in the afternoon but I don't mind that at all.. it was the 5:30 crow offs that had to go
hmm.png

I, personally, wouldn't even have chickens if I couldn't have the roos. They are all my favorites.

I love our rooster. And (so far) the neighbors do too. Of course, we've all got lots of space.

He never wakes us up. We honestly can't even really hear him inside unless we're listening for him.

But when I get up first thing to take the dog out, he hears us stirring and greets us every morning.

He starts at first light and usually stops an hour or so after that. Maybe a crow every few minutes. Certainly not overly annoying by any means.

Admittedly, I was worried as I'd heard horror stories too, but so far he's been GREAT.

We've been enjoying the boxes so much. I can't remember life before them. ...so much more peace and quiet in the mornings. They still have a crow off in the afternoon but I don't mind that at all.. it was the 5:30 crow offs that had to go.

Hello MS Bear,
Are the boxes you are using now the same as the one in your picture earlier in the year? Can you tell me the size of that box? Do you have a perch in it? Thanks!

I live in a suburb, and when I had a really loud rooster I would grab him off the perch at night and the stuff him in a rubbermaid box. It had holes drilled for air. Then I put the box in our cement block garage! It worked great. You could still hear him crowing, but only if you were standing right outside of the garage. Not enough to really bother anyone since you would already be awake if you were outside close enough to hear him.

Quote:
No. no perch.. just a really small box ...like 10x14 inches for banties and a bit bigger for standards. Make it only like 10" high for a bantam and a bit more for a standard.. you don't want them to be able to stand all the way up... it's just for bed time
smile.png
Birds like to roost up high on perches to feel safe from predators but they don't need it. He'll be fine in there.. will just be anxious as all heck to get out!
lol.png
Mine come flying out and jump up on the perch and crow first thing

Back
Top Bottom