Do your chickens ever just lay down?

lol! You should have seen me when my jersey giant roo had a dust bath for the first time. I didn't know what on earth he was doing and it scared me half to death. I thought he was wounded or dying. Turns out he was just itching, lol

To answer your question mine lay down all of the time, pullets and roos. They are so lazy. Its nothing to worry about.

vortec

the first time i saw this i came screaming across the yard "she's down she's down we have a hen down!!!!"

hubby came a-runnin took one look and said. she's having a dust bath she's FINE!

but honestly it still stops my heart when they lay there in a big heap!

and yes they all do it - even little chicks - which will send you into a frenzy as well.

Quote:
Ditto - I thought it was injured or dying. Nope just enjoying the sun
cool.png

I dont know about adults but my chicks in the brooder sure have some interesting sleeping positions!
lol.png
Several times I really thought they were dead.

Quote:
Hahahaha I did the same thing! I started crying and screaming for dh and mine looked at me like what mom? I'm just takin a bath. I've also had to check on chicks several times b/c they didn't look right. They were just sleeping as it turned out.
My girls dig holes
roll.png

Thank goodness for internet! I thought my new young chickens were dying! I'm a first time chicken owner and I would have been in a panic if not for you guys--thanks!!

Mine do it all the time. My rooster really more then my hens. They will lay together in the dirt alot too
I wonder if the extra laying down is one way to tell a rooster from a hen when they are young? I also see that the other young cockerels will come over and disturb the reclining one. Perhaps it is sort of a "lions pride" thing? :)

Hello I found the nutri drench just to make sure it’s the right one I uploaded a pic. Is it ok if it gets here in 10 days? What should I do until it gets here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom