Do your chickens ever just lay down?

cheraboo

Songster
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Michigan
Joe was out and about yesterday, his normal self. As I watched, he laid down on the ground, put his head on the ground and didn't move. I honestly thought he had just dropped dead. Scared me really bad
sad.png
I walked over to him and he promptly got up and walked away. He's never done that before ... never have any of the other chickens for that matter. DH said he was just tired and resting. I'm hoping he was right.

My chickens like to sunbathe. They lay on their sides with their wings all spread out and their legs sprawled. First time I saw it I thought they had been attacked and their bodies strewn about the yard all helter skelter. Talk about having a heart attack. Goofy chickens.

Mine are a year old now and they still like to lay in the grass all piled up like puppies.

It is pretty bad the first time you see it but it is sooo funny to watch them lay there on their sides sunbathing. Plus I will never forget the first time I saw a chick getting a dustbath...........I thought for sure it was having a seizure and going to die!
lau.gif

ours do that too just being lazy in the summer sun. they like digging holes though under our young weeping willow to the point all the roots are exposed to role around in the dirt and lay in almost on their backs sometimes with feet and wings everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom