Do your chickens like fruit or bugs better?!

What's your chickens favorite treat bugs or fruit?!

• Bugs

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Fruit

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Mine love both, but they go absolutely NUTS for grasshoppers! When one of the girls catches a grasshopper, she will take off running with it in her mouth and the others will all chase her and try to steal it...so much fun to watch them play with their food.

Mine love both but my Buff hen Miss Honey loves blueberries, I put some in my homemade yogurt treat I give them. I have only 3 hens left, so I take them on walks to find grasshoppers and bugs. I have 8 chicks, 2 weeks old, so they will be getting new friends in a few months.

Last edited:
It depends on the chicken. I have one that will go nuts over a piece of fruit, but I've also seen her go crazy over a bug or even the odd newt she digs up. Others are indifferent to fruits and vegetables and some won't touch them.

Both, but I don't offer both at the same time, so I don't know which they'd prefer. Except one, who doesn't like the Japanese Beetles I bring them in the summer. The rest go crazy for them.

My “big girls” love their wormies. But overall fruit is more popular with the whole flock. They go NUTS for watermelon. I believe it is high in sugar though. I only give it to them one a month in the summer for that reason.

Mine love both, but they go absolutely NUTS for grasshoppers! When one of the girls catches a grasshopper, she will take off running with it in her mouth and the others will all chase her and try to steal it...so much fun to watch them play with their food.
One time my hens found a frog! They played football tag with it! It was fun to watch but the poor frog got crippled and smushed while it was still alive

Back
Top Bottom