Fruits

My adult girls get fruit and veg as a supplement daily…especially during laying & molting. No avocado or citrus but all else is free game and they cherish it.

I don't feed them fruits as part of their regular diet, they don't need it if they eat commercial feed (it has everything they need). As stated above, fruits are a treat and can skew their nutritional balance if they have too much. I will occasionally give them whatever comes back in the kids' lunch boxes, or grapes that got squished in the bag, things past their prime (but not moldy) that the humans won't eat. So the chickens recycle that every once in a while. But I don't specifically buy/grow fruit for them.

They can have almost all fruit, besides citrus and avocado, mine love watermelon and cantaloupe! Veggies are also good for them.

Mine really love squash. I do feed some sort of fruit or vegetable through the spring and fall, but like others I do not specifically buy for them but they get leftovers from the garden. Through the winter it is harder. I do save guts and seeds from pumpkins and squash that us humans eat and freeze them so they will get that during the winter warmed up.

Of course mine will get fruit/veg scraps and past prime from the house. In a sense I do buy for them. Like an apple or two from the bag or a head of cabbage to change up their routine. They also get the seasonal loquat and mulberry that fall to the ground. This year I've spotted what very much looks like a mulberry tree in their run. It's about 3.5 ft tall and almost like they knew what it is and decided not to scratch it up.

Back
Top Bottom