Do your ducks let you pet them?

All of mine allowed me to hold, pet, hug them. Even mocha if I picked him up, he'd squirm a bit then settle in, give me neck hugs, then I'd have to put him back down. The three I have left come sit on my lap, perch on my arm, shoulders, head lol - all of them like ducky kisses and to cuddle especially speedy and beedee. And all of them would still come perch on my side while I sleep if I didnt have them set up in their own room with nesting box/coop. I know this because when speedy got hurt, I had her beedee and Sugarbaby in my room with me while she healed.

The ones I had since they were babies, it's because I was momma to them and was constantly holding them and letting them cuddle, sleep with me... the adults Isabella was the easiest, donella took a little work for her to trust me - she was the oldest - mocha didn't have a choice but he saw I'd do it to the others and they didnt get hurt so... but then the littles - I could pick up little and hold her, but she ran from me because of mocha - but my coco she was fluid like water and would cuddle in like a stuff animal.

And then there was my cuddlebug, Fancy - speedy is my baby and while she'll cuddle a little it's more conservative then Fancy was.
20180208_093742.jpg

Speedy
speedy loves momma.jpg

Last edited:
My guy will let me pet him, and closes his eyes and lies down when I stroke the top of his head.. this is how I tuck him in at night :) and if I put him in my lap he’ll snuggle up with me and sleep. However, he doesn’t like being caught, and will run when I go get him from his pen, but I keep it very calm and don’t chase him or try and grab him, I’ll just “catch” him by putting my hand on his chest and he’ll stop trying to run, then I give him a few pets before I pick him up to make sure he’s relaxed. Once I’m holding him he’s relaxed in my arms, and he’ll happily let anyone pet him (he comes to work with me at a horse barn, so all the kids like to pet him). Took a while to get him to this point, I was just patient and tried to make every handling experience calm and pleasant for him, now he seems to be used to it. Sometimes he’ll flap his wings in my face when I pick him up, but I like to assume he just thinks he’s flying :lau
Also, weirdly if I have him loose outside he’ll follow me and even chase me if I run, but if he’s in his pen he acts like he’s afraid of me :idunno

I have 4 ducks, 1 pekin and 3 runners. 2 of the runners I can pet all the time, and another let me pet her sometimes. The pekin not only lets me pet her but also thinks I'm her mate. They all like to hang around me when I'm out in the yard with them.

View attachment 1923446
I have the same situation with my pekin drake. He thinks i'm his girlfriend and bobs his head up and down at me every morning.

Last edited:
My little duck Quackers let’s me hold her and pet her. She likes her head and bill petted. Cheese, my drake likes to be near me and sometimes he will sidle over and lean on my leg but every time I try and hold him he acts embarrassed and slowly struggles out of my arms.
Sometimes in the winter they come inside for s warm bath and they do t mind when I put diapers on them.
They usually follow me around and of course come running over for treats or if I’ve been gone all day.
Sometimes they both run from me though, they can be moody.

Back
Top Bottom