Do your shipped eggs arrive in good condition? Have they been handled well?

Whenever I've ordered eggs, I've requested that there be no marking on the box at all. No "Fragile" - no "hatching eggs." In my opinion, it just makes it a target for the few PO employees who enjoy damaging stuff. I don't want my package to stand out as unusual - just pass it along the line like all the others.

So far, I've only received one shipment that had damaged eggs, and that was the seller's fault. He packed the eggs in saw dust inside an egg carton. I was surprised that only two eggs were broken. The seller replaced the eggs - and the second shipment was packed very well.

I know that World Courier ships animals all the time, actually has a special department for animal shipments. But I've gotten all my shipped eggs from eBay and they only ship USPS right? Also the people that sell and ship eggs state that shipping is a hazard and that we assume the risk as the buyers. So what incentive is there to ship the eggs any differently when the shipper has their money. Unfortunately I think the buyers have to accept the strong possibility their shipped eggs will be scrambled and follow the instructions from the experienced for getting the best hatch you can from shipped eggs. I have gotten 6 batches of eggs shipped. I think with several of these fertility was the issue. But also my air cells were messed up. 2 batches I got better than 50 percent hatch rate, but all the rest I got 0 to 1. I wouldn't have any of these birds if I hadn't tried shipping in the 1st place so it was a risk I was willing to take, but feeling quite discouraged now after 4 batches and lots $ and no hatchlings!

I have had Good luck with Shipped Eggs..A cracked one now and then (but all shippers seem to allow a few extras for that purpose)...But like you If there not marked (they seem to arrive in way better condition) If there marked FRAGILE or EGGS or CAREFUL that means BEAT IT UP...Go Figger It...cva34

I have bought shipped eggs 6 times this year, and all arrived in good condition except the first which had 3 broken eggs and 2 others rolling around loose. Each box was packed differently--in foam slots, rolled in bubble wrap, one just in paper towel inside a paper egg carton. All were labeled fragile hatching eggs. I think it is the luck of the draw. Some will offer to re-ship for the price of shipping if no eggs hatch.

Cases like that should get at leased a refund of the shipping cost! There is no reason that anyones package should be treated so poorly whether it was fragile or not! That should be taken up with a supervisor and pictures should be given to them. If they gave a **** at all then they would appreciate your concern offer you a refund and take the matter to their superiors! Something really needs to be done about that. If it doesn't get brought up to them then nothing will ever be done to fix the problem.... Its not really about the refund its more about the fact that they should be held accountable for their gross negligence in their handling of your package. I have both received and sent a couple that got a damaged corner here or there but I have never seen anything like that! Its shocking to say the leased!

I always write "LIVE EMBRYO" AND "FRAGILE" "HANDLE WITH CARE" I actually give my oldest daughter red/blue/green and orange markers and let her go to town writting on the boxes for me then its bright and loud and really stands out. I have had an egg broken I think 1 time ever here recently and I question the validity of that I think the reciever may have accidentally broke it when unwrapping but didn't want to take responsibility for it. I have received broken eggs twice and both were from a state or 2 over while the ones coming from east coast to west coast all arrive in better condition usually. I think MT is the worst. bothe times I got eggs from 2 different people there and they were both packaged pretty well I believe, they had broken eggs inside. Either way no matter what a box says or where it comes from it still should be better taken care of.

Just like lost mail, well the post office looses my mail all the fricken time especially if its something important like from irs..... I got audited last year and the irs said they sent me 3 different things and I never got a single 1 of them..... Those were extremely important documents that needed to be returned and if I didn't then I could have gone to jail for tax evasion all because the dumb post office lost my mail!!!! Then would the post office pay for my fines and lawyers fees to get me out.... NO! luckily I stayed in touch with the IRS but they didn't believe the post office lost all 3 I am sure, at leased they were nice about it and gave me extensions...... When is the post office going to step up and take responsibility for the damage? If we don't complain and drive them crazy it will keep happening!!!

Just my 2 cents here sorry to complain it just makes me soooo maddd!
OMG...the tax thing is bad enuf, but my post office here had a habit for a while of returning my mail & saying I moved. I missed a court date & ended up in jail for a weekend because I never received my mail!!!! Trust me, I raised HOLY HELL!!! They were returning everything if I didn't get up there to get my mail EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! This was when I was sick & was in the middle of winter. They were also doing it when I was pregnant & on bed rest & had someone getting my mail for me a couple times a week. Yes, I lived in an apartment complex, but still...to return someone's mail & say they moved just because they don't get it for 2-3 days???? Rediculous!!!! Post office here knows me WELL now. I think they are afraid of me...LOL I threatened to have people fired.

I have had a total of 70 eggs shipped from as close as 3 hrs away to as far as clear across the country in the past 2 1/2 weeks. There were 7 different shipments each with 6-16 eggs in them. The only one I had a cracked one in was a very tiny box crammed with 6 eggs & didn't have room for enuf padding. The girl had experimented with a new size shipping box. I let her know I thot it would be better to go with the bigger box for future shipments & add the extra padding. I figure people would rather pay an extra buck or 2 for the extra shipping & have eggs arrive intact. Other than that, I had 2 boxes with minor damage, but the eggs were so well packed that they survived beautifully. 1 of the boxws even had a hole in it. I do seem to have a few loose air cells, but even several of those are developing quite well. Most of my eggs seem to be progressing pretty well. This is my 1st time hatching, so I will have to let you know on hatch rate.

I finally got the chance to go to my local Post Office from where I send off my eggs, showed them the photos of what happened to my last shipment. They of course dismissed the idea that professional postal workers would deliberately target a package for damage, they said that they're kept 'way too busy and there are supervisors & inspectors all around. But they did say that a package marked Fragile could get overlooked and be put on the conveyors along with other packages, and thus get crushed.

They suggested packing a box-within-a-box for extra insulation. They did say that while it doesn't cost extra to send live animals through the mail by Priority, those packages do receive more considerate handling. The next time I mail eggs I can also ask for it to be placed, and kept, in one of those plastic bins as it is moved to its destination.

Has anyone here ever sent/received live shipments of small animals such as fish, reptiles, insects? How are those sent safely?

Has anyone here ever sent/received live shipments of small animals such as fish, reptiles, insects? How are those sent safely?
I've gotten live fish (salt water and fresh), reptiles (chameleons, snakes, iguanas, geckos, frogs, bearded dragons, turtles and tortoises), and feeder insects (roaches, crickets, silkworms, waxworms and mealworms)

everything but the insects were sent express (overnight.. via fed-ex, ups or delta dash) with minimal losses..
worst case: the iguanas were delivered in February when I lived up north.. we were having freezing weather and the fedex guy had them next to the door of the cab of his truck... he had the door open as he drove up and down our road.. when i got the iguanas they were extremely cold (to the point of being almost dead).. luckily I was home (he had intended on leaving them on the front step) so I heated them up as quickly but as safely as possible.
I have had fish losses even with them being sent overnight.. but some species of saltwater fish are pretty delicate

the insects were all sent via usps priority mail.. some losses due to delays or lost shipments

the sellers usually include a heat or cold pack depending on the time of year for everything but insects

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom