Does 4 eggs per day from 8 hens sound right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ecocheapomom, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We have 8 NH's and the first two started laying at the very beginning of Sept. More of come in live now and we are getting about 4 eggs per day. Should I be expecting more than that? I know that at least one has not started laying at all and doesn't look anywhere near it, but the rest have good combs and vents.

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:4 out of 8 is good for this time of year. The eggs will pick up when the days start getting longer.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] better than my 1 egg a day from 13 hens, 3 (girlie)ducks and 1 female guinea.

[​IMG]

4. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Sounds about right for an average.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I guess I have been lucky. I have 17 pullets and am getting 10 - 13 eggs a day. They are about 24 - 27 weeks old. I usually get 9 or 10 eggs one day and then get 12 or 13 the next day. They repeat this cycle over and over.

I have seen them slow down slightly the last week or so but not significantly. A couple of weeks ago I got 16 eggs one day. There were also a few days with 14 eggs. Yesterday I got 9 and today I got 12. I also have one hen that has gone broody. I have not seen an egg from her for several days now. It is a BO. Funny thing, she was laying on golf balls. She will not let other pullets into the next box she has claimed as hers. I took the golf balls out yesterday to try to break her. Now she is laying in an empty nest. I keep taking her out but she climbs back in when I walk away.

6. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Glad to know it doesn't seem too far off, although I think the hens are mad at me for talking about them behind their backs because we only got 1 egg today. I rechecked vents and there are clearly 2 that haven't started laying yet. So for 6 possible layers I guess 3 or 4 per day isn't so bad.
    No one is broody, but some hang out in the nesting boxes more than others. I am hoping it doesn't drop pff too much more or I will have to start buying eggs, which I swore I would never do. I should be thankful, though since my neighbors have 14 chickens and are only getting 1 egg a day right now.

7. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Right now I'm getting about 4 eggs a week per bird from RIRs and RIR mutts, so that sounds about right.

My first-year golden comets are still turning in an egg a day, maybe a day off every other week or so. [​IMG]

8. Paulo515

Paulo515 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    I must be very lucky I'm getting 11 - 12 eggs per day from 14 barred rock hens.

9. Ravenseye

Ravenseye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Pepperell, MA
    This time of year, in this area, that's about right. I will say that our egg production went up when I added a light to the coop to bring the "daylight" hours to about 14. 8 hens give me 6 or 7 eggs a day now but there are some days when I get 4.

10. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have 20 hens ranging in age from 22 weeks to 27 weeks and am getting anywhere from 11 - 14 eggs. One day I will get 12 brown and two blue/green then the next day I'll get 10 brown and 1 green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by