Does a Bear #$%& in the woods?

Get your self a spray bottle.(empty Windex) Make a 50%x50% mix of bleach & water. Then spray the exterior of your coop(repeat every few days). Spray dumpsters & garbage cans as well. Then you wont have any bear problems. Works on dumpster diving cats & coon too!

In my experience I don't think they do that in the woods, they seem to prefer the middle of the trail for such business
lau.gif

Seriously, good luck, hope it was a transient.

I had a sow brown bear come through a few weeks back, cubs in tow. A big boy followed her scent a couple hours later. They passed through next to the goat fence but never even looked sidways at anything in our yard, we have goats, chickens, cats and dogs and all the assorted feed and snacks that accompany the critters. First time we've seen bears anywhere near us, so we've never been real good about keeping the grounds clear of food stuffs... gonna be re-thinkin that in the near future.

Good luck, check the windows before going out.

Quote:
Interesting ... so bears don't like bleach? Or does it just mask the smell?

thanks for all the tips everyone!

Nancy

Bear or Bigfoot? I once found a very large berry/hair scat just outside my door on the lawn in town once. Dog? Mutant size Raccoon? What other then a bear would have such a large diameter size digestive track? (polite way of saying "Wow what a big A------")

di it leave a charmin roll?
lol.png

seriously thats pretty scary good luck with the electric fence, probably wont bother your chooks while there is other food to be eaten but soon the berries will be gone and I am sure it will remember that there was fresh chicken at your homestead. Good Luck!

We live in the middle of the Shasta/Trinity National Forest and up against the Trinity Wilderness boundary. We see a lot of Black Bear. I fly fish local waters and stumble upon bears regularly. However, after more than 10 years we have yet to have a bear incursion on the Chicken house. Bears don't like fences and the field fencing seems to have kept them out. Some years ago we had a bear tear a metal shed totally apart in the pursuit of some trash bags that were inside. They are very powerful creatures and not much will stop a bear who really wants to get inside unless the building is industrial strength. They have found a neat trick to get inside of my plastic trash cans. They tip them over and jump on top of it and it pops off the lid as easy as pie.

One day I heard our dog Buzzer ( the picture of my avatar) barking. When I looked out side there in the back yard (before we fenced the area) there was Buzzer nose to nose with a auburn colored black bear that must have been pushing 400 lbs. The bear had a startled look on its puss and seemed amused that it was being challenged by a 10 lb. mini pin. I had to holler at Buzzer several times to get him to disengage but once he came away the bear took one look at me and hit the woods. After securing Buzzer I went back outside and fired off a couple of rounds from a 12 ga. shotgun, just to let the bear know that we were now on the look out for it. Some bears have no fear of firearms or the sounds they make. That is alarming.

Back
Top Bottom