does a duck peck hurt?

Quote:
I don't know what kind of a dog you have but remember, they are a natural predator. Don't leave ducks and dogs unattended.

Don't forget that ducks explore everything with their bill. I just love the way my ducks nibble nibble nibble at my clothes, hair and shoelaces. And 688 I am afraid of your dog around the babies alone. Are you making sure he can't get to the playpen when no one is around?

I can tell you that ducklings are flighty and don't like to be held and will peck at you. However, the more they are held as ducklings the more gentle they will be as adults. Even the ones I didn't handle that much as babies were tolerant of being held as adults.

One of mine pecked a lot as a baby but has stopped. Our ducks know only to eat out of a hand if the hand is flat. We discouraged pecking people when they were about two weeks and we realized that it would get out of control. The bigger they get the harder they can pinch. Mine has only really pinched once as an adult and it was when I tried to move her when she was eating a particularly tasty snack. My fault.

When mine were 'defending' their babies, they'd grab on good, and pinch and twist and leave me with bruises. But otherwise they don't seem very threatening.

I don't know about other's, but my petey grabbed ahold of my arm one day, and it took me about a minute to get his beak off my arm, and boy did that every hurt. After that, I had to run for my life because he then went after my ankles.

ducks use their beaks to communicate lots of differant things- not all pecks are aggressive pecks

if they are dabbling at our hand, they are looking for food, they are using a natural feeding behavior to beg for food from you

Quote:
i never leave the dog alone with the ducks, plus the playpen they are in is over 3 foot high so he cant get to them any way he tries, i have had them out of the brooder when he has been with me and he just licks them and knocks them over with his tongue just tryna be friendly lol... he would let me know if he didnt like the ducks... he does keep putting his paw against the playpen though maybe he just wants to be close to them?

Back
Top Bottom