1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does a turkey coop need a roof?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MrDankYT, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrDankYT

MrDankYT Just Hatched

Feb 11, 2017
    Hello, I was wondering about a roof for an outside turkey coop, i mean i've seen alot of people just have fences and that goes good but i mean turkeys can fly a little even if they're domesticated so does an outside turkey coop need a roof?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Coops are always outside and have roofs...

3. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    As already stated, if it doesn't have a roof it isn't a coop. Perhaps your question should be whether or not turkeys need a coop.

Turkeys do need a place that is sheltered so they can get away from the wind. They need a place that provides shade. Heritage turkeys need a place they can roost. These needs can be met by a coop or a wall or trees, etc.

My turkeys roost outside in all kinds of weather but it is in a sheltered place away from the wind. I have provided them with a shaded area that they take advantage of even in the winter on bright sunny days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by